Pickups to replace my '57 and 57+ in my '16 ES 335 Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups to replace my '57 and 57+ in my '16 ES 335 Studio

I have a set of Alnico Pro II's ordered from Sweetwater right now, thinking about replacing the '57's with those. Has anyone done this swap in a semi-hollow?

Thanks Guys!!

dave
    I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Re: Pickups to replace my '57 and 57+ in my '16 ES 335 Studio

Well, you already have them coming, so it is absolutely worth it to replace your 57s. But what are you hoping to achieve? What don't you like about the 57s?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Way too bright, even the neck is way bright. I want it to be able to growl and even roar, but not too shrill. I actually ordered the AP-2's for another guitar, was just playing the 335 again tonight and wondering to myself why I don't play it more. I remembered after I plugged in. Hence the question about the AP 2's.
      Last edited by darnright; 04-05-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darnright View Post
        Way too bright, even the neck is way bright. I want it to be able to growl and even roar, but not too shrill. I actually ordered the AP-2's for another guitar, was just playing the 335 again tonight and wondering to myself why I don't play it more. I remembered after I plugged in. Hence the question about the AP 2's.
        A2P
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by darnright View Post
          I have a set of Alnico Pro II's ordered from Sweetwater right now, thinking about replacing the '57's with those. Has anyone done this swap in a semi-hollow?

Thanks Guys!!

dave
          Alnico 2 Pro
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

OK, thanks.

Comment

I had a ES-175 that had some pickups that were kinda blah, can’t remember exactly which set it I think they were 57 Classic’s as well? Anyway I had a Slash set sitting here so I tossed them in basically planning swapping them out for another Duncan set eventually & I remember being extremely impressed with the Slash set’s tone in that guitar!!!

I had pulled those pickups out of my Lester after trying them out, in there I absolutely hated them!!! Go figure ehh? Anyway the ES-175 Hollow-Body absolutely came alive after the swap & they were great at taming some of the feedback that’s just inherent with these kinds of guitars. I’d imagine that they’d be as good or even better with a centerblock semi-hollow?

As far as the tone goes it’ll be player subjective as is all guitar tone but personally I say go for it! I mean if you already have the pups you really don’t have anything to lose except some time, & if you don’t like the results you can always toss the 57’s back in...
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Ended up putting the SD's in the 335...sound AMAZING!!!!! BTW!! Then took an old strat and put the 57 and 57+ in....Sounds the best ever!!! Th
                anks guys!!

Comment

Great choice. My favorite Duncan's are A2P's, Seth's, and WLH.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                  X