banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TC Electronics Polytune 3 vs BOSS TU-3W. Which one should I go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TC Electronics Polytune 3 vs BOSS TU-3W. Which one should I go for?

I should have waited for Reverb's sale starting tomorrow, but I purchased the Polytune 3 (Open Box) for $79.99. 2 days ago there were 9 of them, I purchased the last one.
    Maybe is a good sign!
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

UPDATE!!!

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post

The Polytune 3 got home. I love it as a tuner. Didn't get into the firmware updates, modes or whatever. Just hitted all the strings, the Polytune activated. Played one string at a time, and it automatically went into chromatic mode. It's very precise as a tuner. Even if it's slightly off, it will detect it. NOW! The bad...
      No matter what your tone will be changed on true bypass or buffer mode. In both mode I felt it lowered my volume (and changed my tone at the same time). True Bypass felt more muddy. The buffer eliminated the muddiness, you gained ''clarity'', but some frequency in the mids were also pushed; I'm writing that knowing my HT-40 only has a tone knob for the clean channel. I felt like running it thru the ''thru'' output of my MXR Chorus, but I do know that the tuner accuracy could get affected by all the effects in the chain. I also want to keep the mute signal feature of the pedal. Preferred the ''without Polytune 3'' tone, but I could live with the change. I may need to adjust my EQ for the changes. My Badass Distortion 78' pedal got a little more fuzzy in my actual configuration.
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

For live fast stage work, if you are not using the all strings tuning at once "polytune mode" (which most people dont) -the Boss is what you want IMO because the accuracy is plenty ENOUGH and the measurement response is slightly slower and more stable -so your not chasing perfect, overshooting, and rolling back and sharpening again (repeat etc) on stage. I had a Korg with an analog VU that was soooooo accurate that it was too annoying to use live and in some regards the Polytune in single note mode can feel that way can feel that way

In the Studio, Practice and Home the Polytune is very cool.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          For live fast stage work, if you are not using the all strings tuning at once "polytune mode" (which most people dont) -the Boss is what you want IMO because the accuracy is plenty ENOUGH and the measurement response is slightly slower and more stable -so your not chasing perfect, overshooting, and rolling back and sharpening again (repeat etc) on stage. I had a Korg with an analog VU that was soooooo accurate that it was too annoying to use live and in some regards the Polytune in single note mode can feel that way can feel that way

In the Studio, Practice and Home the Polytune is very cool.
          I truly agree with you. The Polytune 3 seems to be the right one for a studio setting or a place where you need the tuning to be spot-on. I really like it considering I'm going to be recording soon, and appreciate to be in-tune while playing. The BOSS definitely seems to be the one suited for live use. I've read about the buffer of the TU-3W being better than the one in the Polytune 3 and after my experience with the Polytune 3, I don't doubt there's something ''better'' out there, but I already have the Polytune pedal in my pedalboard...

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
          X