Neck HB, split HB's in series, Bridge HB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck HB, split HB's in series, Bridge HB

The tittle sums up what has been asked in another topic (IF I understand correctly. LOL).

Sorry, I don't see how to do it with a normal Les Paul switch.

But with a mini ON ON ON, it seems doable...

Below is the schematic that I've botched about that.

Explanations:

All green and bare wires to ground.

All black wires to volume outer lug.

Red and white wires on outer poles of the ON ON ON switch (in the same order). NOTES: for more clarity, “white” wires have been pictured in grey and yellow, “red” wires in red and pink…

Jumper between center poles of the switch.

Position 1: white and red wires of the neck pickup connected. Bridge pickup “open”. Neck humbucker enabled only.

Position 2: white wire of the neck connected to red wire of the bridge. South coil of the bridge and north coil of the neck are in series. Other coils are open and therefore disabled.

Position 3: white and red wires of the bridge pickup connected. Neck pickup “open”. Bridge pickup enabled only.

If south coil of the neck and north coil of the bridge are required, just swap the white and red wires (white then red on the upper rank of the switch, white then red too on its lower rank of poles).

FWIW.

Any comment is welcome (especially if the schematic is wrong, of course. LOL).

Please, note that I've done that stuff during a short lapse of free time. My busy life is waiting me so I'm not sure to be so "disponible" in the future... Thx for your understanding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB special wiring ON ON ON switch rev.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5851210
    Last edited by freefrog; 04-12-2019, 11:08 AM.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Re: Neck HB, split HB's in series, Bridge HB

Your on/on/on switch is pictured "wrong". I mean, they make it configured that way but it is very difficult to find. The common configuration (which is readily available anywhere) is as in the SD diagram below:

Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: Neck HB, split HB's in series, Bridge HB

I must admit that I've botched this thing from memories without checking physically the signal path with a mini switch in hand... :-/

Thx for the help, Doc!

I'll edit the schematic accordingly ASAP. Too much work right now. :-)

I EDIT this answer to say that I've hastily EDITED the schematic in message one. :-))

In the meantime, I've tested the signal path on two mini ON ON ON that I had here in my parts bin and they work like Doc said.

If someone uses a switch with reverse connections in position 2, all is required is to swap the wires on the outer poles anyway... :-)

Sunday morning update: have here a handful of guitars fitted with mini ON ON ON switches and have opened their electronic cavity to refresh my memories: several switches featured reverse connections compared to the schematic above. Either I've bought a batch of non typical switches a while back, either it's not so rare finally, at least here in Europe (I buy many switches in local electronic shops like "Conrad" and not in guitar shops, for the record). It might explain why I had reversed position 2 in the first version of the schematic.
      As mentioned above, a different position 2 would only alter the choice of coils selected in position 2 anyway... and it's not as if it was important since very few people appear to care although the schemo had been asked for in another topic. LOL.

I'll let it online, nevertheless: maybe someone will find it useful someday. :-)

Last edited by freefrog; 04-13-2019, 11:56 PM.
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
      X