Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Let’s keep this lighthearted.
    Zero points for mentioning any Bill Finnegan pedal.

To me the most overrated type of pedal is the clean boost. In my brief experience, they do nothing apart from make it louder and slightly more opaque. I’d rather boost with an overdrive and get some interesting coloration, or just use higher output pickups. I find when I use a clean boost with lower output pickups, I don’t get the benefits of a lower output pickup... or a higher output pickup. How many of these things are just glorified buffers with level controls? What’s a clean boost that might change my mind?

Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post

To me the most overrated type of pedal is the clean boost. In my brief experience, they do nothing apart from make it louder and slightly more opaque. I’d rather boost with an overdrive and get some interesting coloration, or just use higher output pickups. I find when I use a clean boost with lower output pickups, I don’t get the benefits of a lower output pickup... or a higher output pickup. How many of these things are just glorified buffers with level controls? What’s a clean boost that might change my mind?
    Try a Zvex SHO. Into a dirty amp, since they don't compress as much, you can have raging overdrive or perfectly clean sounds from your picking strength.
    And that's a common cliché but I've never had it as good with any overdrive or distortion pedal. They limit the dynamic range too much.
    With a SHO it's like the guitar could go up to 25 instead of 10 on it's volume knob, and that kicks ass. No experience with other boosts here.

My vote for most overrated pedal? All wahs or chorus.
    Both effects have been overdone beyond belief and they're a staple on guitarists I don't care about in 99% of occasions.
    If anything, they're a sad reflection on how endogamic most guitar players are.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Anything by Strymon

Every other pedal in the world does the same thing they do, just at 1/4 of the price. Plus, you mostly have to attend high end worship services to actually hear them used anywhere....
      Last edited by Aceman; 04-13-2019, 08:31 AM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Compressor.

It's a terrible effect, IMO. It makes things sound exactly the opposite of how I want them to sound. There is literally never a time in which I want to compress dynamics, outside of intentional overdrive. I put a lot of work into how the dynamics and micro-dynamics are crafted; it's my number one consideration as a musician. The last thing I want to do is to make them more flat after putting all the work into getting them in the first place. If I want something to sound flat, then I'll play it flat, not run it through compression. Yet some people swear by it.

P.S. I will also add that I think the most underrated is e.q. It's the most powerful and versatile effect you can use, but hardly anyone uses it.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-13-2019, 03:40 AM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post

Keeley Katana.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Wah. Wah can be used well, but it is too often used to cover up when a player has nothing to say.

Comment

My two cents, the Whammy.

Comment

BOSS?
                I prefer MXR all the way!
                Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Anything over $200 for a single effect.

As for the clean boost, I use one to juice a couple of my pedals or my dirt channels while retaining the same basic tone. It turns my AC booster from a slightly gritty clean to a nice mid gain dirt pedal. I do roughly the same thing with my OCD clone, though I start with more dirt on that one. On my amp's dirt channels, I get a tighter low end and more saturation with the boost. It may not sound like much out front, but it does just enough to make me happy.

Comment

Notice where I put my clean boost in the chain (which flows right to left).
                    Note: the boost is the white pedal on the left.

Comment

I started to agree with wah, but now I think wah is just overused more than its overrated.

For me, fuzz is way overrated. Like getting into which chips produce the best fuzz overrated. In the end, they all just sound like fuzz. Maybe some are more nasty and harsh while others more tolerable, but I haven’t found a use for one for more than 3 minutes and never in the context of an actual song. (I reserve the right to change my mind in the future, but for now that’s where it’s at for me.)

Comment

I like a slow broad-sweeping almost auto-wah sound during some leads, but not really the quicker vocal wah wah thing, but personally I have no desire for an actual wah pedal, or whammy for that matter.
                        The whammies can do much more though, like octaving, but just like with the slow auto-wah thing I'd just prefer to get close to it from a standard stomp.

Loose flatulent fuzz isn't for me either. My OpMuff is about as far in that direction as I'd ever want to go, and it's really more of a sizzle crunch than a true fuzz. I love good fuzzy but defined distortions.
                        Last edited by dave74; 04-13-2019, 03:13 AM.

Comment

This is great, it’s like a rorschach test of what your shortcomings are as a guitarist. They are all just tools that reflect on the guitarist.

Mine is hard clipped distortion pedals. They sound awful compared to any other option. Rats, DS1s, Distortion +, DOD250, etc. A clean boost, fuzz, transistor boost, FET distortion or soft clipped overdrive into an amp all sound better to me.

That just means I clearly haven’t learned how to use them effectively, right?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I never cared much for chorus. I don't know how much of that comes from me not having much use for it in my arsenal, or how much people have over and misused it in the past, but I certainly don't have a space for it on my board. It just seems that everyone and their brother was doing the whole "clean picked high output bridge humbucker drenched in chorus" thing over arpeggiated chords way too much back in the day.

If I do need a chorus like effect, I use a Univibe. I find them much more pleasing to the ears.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Notice where I put my clean boost in the chain (which flows right to left).
                              Note: the boost is the white pedal on the left.

What I notice here is a Metal Zone...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X