Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I'm amazed when a pedal company makes an oversized casing, or names a pedal something silly or describing how fat of huge it is, or names it something that has the word tone or vintage that this becomes the barometer for how good the pedal is.

Marketing in pedal world is suuuuper effective.

If I built a clone TS with a 100hz switch and called it "Traditional Silicon Diode Distortion Box w/ bass boost" -nobody would laude how awesome it was, but if I called it "Vintage TrueFat Tube Monster" -people will testify to it's greatness.
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    but also, interesting, this doesn't seam to matter with amps and guitars like it does pedals. people literally do not give 2 sh*ts what a new model guitar's model naming style or number designation is
    I think it’s pretty likely that the pedal world has a much younger group doing their marketing. Many of the companies are pretty new in comparison to the big guitar and amp companies, and there are a greater number of recognizable brand names.

In other words, in the pedal world you’re more likely to have a bunch of nerdy-twenty-something-tech-geeks doing the naming instead of typical executives... and they have a better sense of humor!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
      I think it’s pretty likely that the pedal world has a much younger group doing their marketing. Many of the companies are pretty new in comparison to the big guitar and amp companies, and there are a greater number of recognizable brand names.

In other words, in the pedal world you’re more likely to have a bunch of nerdy-twenty-something-tech-geeks doing the naming instead of typical executives... and they have a better sense of humor!
      Yeah, I think your probably hitting it on the head.

Pedals are generally 30-200 bucks whereas Amps are 200+ and Guitars 200+

Market is right for childish excitement!
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The barrier for entry is so much lower in the pedal world. You can buy PCBs for generic overdrive circuits that include a license to sell it in a finished product, make your modifications, build, paint and sell your pedal pretty easily. Next jump to your own circuit board design (you can source a PCB in small quantities from many companies now) and you’ve got your own pedal all with your own design. Add a name and graphics....

For amps you need a lot more technical knowledge, equipment and capital to start building enough to sell. They’ve got to be $1000+ to make your time back. People don’t generally drop that kind of money willy nilly. I’ve definitely bought a few $100 pedals just to see what they sound like, that’s a lot tougher for amps.

Guitars require lots of technical knowledge and equipment. If you aren’t assembling partscasters you’ve really got to be building a quality product to sell it.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Comment

I really enjoy this thread, but...

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            I can't think of any stomp that is over-rated.
            I mean to be over-rated it should be popular and all most popular effects like TS, FF, BMP, Dist+, Phase 90, Flanger, Compressors have something of their own...
            Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I have G&L Double Barrel boost that outs dynamics on steroids, so here’s a vote for clean boost. But overrated my vote is the Zvex Fuzz Factory. To me it’s kind of like a beta version of a fuzz pedal. It’s also hard on the ears. Chorus is pretty much a horrible pedal too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                A Keeley modded Metalzone, thank you very much. And I use the Keeley Katana to make it even louder for leads. I also have the volume knob pulled out on the Katana to use it as a top boost.[emoji41]

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                A company called Lily of the West in Tucson, Arizona modded a Metal Zone for me with germanium pickups. It’s an outrageous pedal that can do a wide range of tones.

Comment

Originally posted by MyloB View Post
                  I have G&L Double Barrel boost that outs dynamics on steroids, so here’s a vote for clean boost. But overrated my vote is the Zvex Fuzz Factory. To me it’s kind of like a beta version of a fuzz pedal. It’s also hard on the ears. Chorus is pretty much a horrible pedal too.

Tell that to Matt Bellamy

Fuzz Factory is awesome fuzz pedal presicely because it's so obnoxious. I don't think I'd ever use it, but that doesn't change the fact. There are probably hundreds of Fuzzes that are pointless because they are just like the next one. Same for OD's.

Definition of overrated pedal I think is pretty much that. Classic circuit with cool box and double or triple the price.

It's really fun when someone like Joyo clones that same circuit and then people tell how it sounds "good for the price" and "not bad". They can't accept it's the same as their boutique clone.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Anything by Strymon

Every other pedal in the world does the same thing they do, just at 1/4 of the price. Plus, you mostly have to attend high end worship services to actually hear them used anywhere....

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                    X