X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    What I notice here is a Metal Zone...
    A Keeley modded Metalzone, thank you very much. And I use the Keeley Katana to make it even louder for leads. I also have the volume knob pulled out on the Katana to use it as a top boost.[emoji41]

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Anytime I hear a flanger, I always think a good phaser would sound better.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        Compressor.

It's a terrible effect, IMO. It makes things sound exactly the opposite of how I want them to sound. There is literally never a time in which I want to compress dynamics, outside of intentional overdrive. I put a lot of work into how the dynamics and micro-dynamics are crafted; it's my number one consideration as a musician. The last thing I want to do is to make them more flat after putting all the work into getting them in the first place. If I want something to sound flat, then I'll play it flat, not run it through compression. Yet some people swear by it.

P.S. I will also add that I think the most underrated is e.q. It's the most powerful and versatile effect you can use, but hardly anyone uses it.
        That’s funny because I’m exactly the opposite, especially when I’m playing bass. With bass I want my notes on or off! This is probably because I’ve spent so much time recording. On recordings everything is compressed.

When I’m playing guitar I rarely roll back the volume. I don’t clean up my tone that way. I switch to a clearer tone.

Dynamics sound fine when you are playing by yourself. On stage they get lost. You can hear it right by your amp. The people in the back of the room can’t.

And clean guitar sounds wonderful with compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dig compressors for certain things...mostly to make notes pop in a very overly compressed way (think Albert Lee-ish).

Comment

If anything, I think compression is underrated. At least compression used properly with a good quality compressor. It's one of those effects that you aren't supposed to notice when it's in use, but you notice when it's turned off.

Comment

Compression saved my ass as a bassist so many times. It just makes things sound smooth.

I used to own a MXR Dynacomp for guitar and I didn't really like it most of the time. It behaved too much like an effect and not as a tool.
              Damn thing had a mind of it's own when it came to release and attack. But with a Strat in the 2 and 4 positions it was terrific, sometimes.

I don't know, I'm really on the fence with compression to be honest.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I can't think of any stomp that is over-rated; more the usage of a stomp being over-rated (how it's being utilized) than the stomp itself.

Like slapping a distortion box in front of an amp (that has dist) that is running at .5 volume and stating it sounds as good as running the amp wide-open...
                that's over-rated.

And there's under-rated stomps definitely - EQ comes to mind. Compressor is another.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BossArea-Boss-SP-1-Spectrum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	5813616

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]97458[/ATTACH]
                    Does that do anything? Is it like a talent pedal?

Comment

From Boss:
                      The BOSS SP-1 Spectrum was an effect that boosted a select band of frequencies, so that instruments with a tendency to be “muddy”—such as electric bass—could be brought out in the mix.

Essentially a parametric EQ, but not as good. And originals go for an absurd amount of money.

Comment

I loathe:

*Any Flanger
                        *Heavy Soaked Vibrato unless used satirically like Ween would -And to be clear I'm not referring to Tremelo -which is amazing.
                        *Heavy Chorus (Apparently I'm ok with light Chorus as this forum proved)
                        *Wah Wah -ugggghhhh
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                          I can't think of any stomp that is over-rated; more the usage of a stomp being over-rated (how it's being utilized) than the stomp itself.

Like slapping a distortion box in front of an amp (that has dist) that is running at .5 volume and stating it sounds as good as running the amp wide-open...
                          that's over-rated.

And there's under-rated stomps definitely - EQ comes to mind. Compressor is another.
                          Point. Missed. Completely.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Point. Missed. Completely.
                            Then you need to up your reading comprehension skills, or get more experienced with gear to grasp my statements... what I was saying was on target and easy reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              I never cared much for chorus. I don't know how much of that comes from me not having much use for it in my arsenal, or how much people have over and misused it in the past, but I certainly don't have a space for it on my board. It just seems that everyone and their brother was doing the whole "clean picked high output bridge humbucker drenched in chorus" thing over arpeggiated chords way too much back in the day.

If I do need a chorus like effect, I use a Univibe. I find them much more pleasing to the ears.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Anytime I hear a flanger, I always think a good phaser would sound better.

Yeah, so here's the funny thing about that: I can definitely see why you'd think a phaser can be a better fit for where a flanger is being used.

The flanger can be better used as a - wait for it - chorus!

I bought a flanger and a chorus, kept the chorus on my board for a day, and then sent it packing... over to my bass player's board, who liked it quite a bit. Then I finally took it off of him and sold it, so he went on the prowl for a replacement chorus aaaaaaand... ended up buying a flanger [emoji16]
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here, because I've never used one, but I'll say: the Klon.

Comment

Working...
                                X