Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using R2 nut with an R3 neck floyd rose

Hi,

Just got a good deal for a new german made gold floyd rose that came with an R2 nut.

The lower in height of the R2 is not a problem because one can shim it up higher but the closer spacing is what im worried.

is ok to use a nut that has closer in spacing than the original nut had wider spacing? would that hurt playability or make it look funky?

also, the bridge that i have has the new FR logo and not the patent numbers on the sustain block, i noticed it has a long flat shim under the BGDA saddles. not the high/low E. what radius is it with and without the shim? i had floyd rose german before but never seen shim on any of the saddles..

the guitar that im replacing the bridge with is a floyd special. cant seem to see any shim on any of the saddles yet the guitar plays great with the lowest action a ever had with no string buzz.

Re: Using R2 nut with an R3 neck floyd rose

I’d get the correct nut, unless you like the closer string spacing. I like wider nuts myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Middle 4 string shim is typical and used for radii ~10"
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        I’d get the correct nut, unless you like the closer string spacing. I like wider nuts myself.

Hmm so one can use the closer spaced R2 nut if i like it and theres nothing wrong with it other than preference. Never tried a neck with closer spacing but for this particular guitar, i always seem to struggle with moving from high string to the lowest string. I guess id get the correct nut. Sigh.. i wont be able to install it then. Perhaps i could install the bridge and everything that comes with the box just not the nut.
        Last edited by budubum92; 04-13-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          Middle 4 string shim is typical and used for radii ~10"
          Ill take the shim out as the neck in question is 13.78 radius

Comment

Just to make it clear. Is 10 radius much more bend curve than 13 right?

Comment

Originally posted by budubum92 View Post
              Just to make it clear. Is 10 radius much more bend curve than 13 right?
              Yup

Vintage curvy is 7something, shredder superflat is 16
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by budubum92 View Post
                Hmm so one can use the closer spaced R2 nut if i like it and theres nothing wrong with it other than preference. Never tried a neck with closer spacing but for this particular guitar, i always seem to struggle with moving from high string to the lowest string. I guess id get the correct nut. Sigh.. i wont be able to install it then. Perhaps i could install the bridge and everything that comes with the box just not the nut.
                Yes you can. I don’t like narrow necks like on a Rickenbacker. I have long fingers, so things get crowded at the nut end.

But if it feels comfortable to you then use that. You can always replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  Yes you can. I don’t like narrow necks like on a Rickenbacker. I have long fingers, so things get crowded at the nut end.

But if it feels comfortable to you then use that. You can always replace it.

Ill try with an R2 because i have shorter fingers. And its like i said im having issues with ascending from high E to lower E. Something i havent experienced with my other guitars that are also wide. But not as wide as this neck.

Comment

In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter what nut you play, if it works for you.
                    I've had a few guitars with different nuts on them, no big deal.

One guitar I remember, kept slipping the 6th string off the board, so I had to look up which nut was narrower and I installed that one. Perfect!
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

If your strings match up with the poles on your pickups it shouldn't matter

Comment

Working...
                      X