Rosewood fretboard marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rosewood fretboard marks?

Whew, it isn't just me- I can't see what's wrong, either.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Rosewood fretboard marks?

There’s filth on each side of the frets. Might have been some kind of coating or chemical on the fretboard but when they rubbed it off they didn’t get it clean near the frets, and it attracted dirt. Playing fingers further rubbed it off in between the frets, but nothing ever touches right next to the frets to clean it.

Edit: just saw the circled image. Agree there could be marks from wound strings. If you’re pressing down so hard the string is digging into the fretboard, that’s way too much downward pressure. Lighten your touch.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Hello,

thank you for all the responses, I greatly appreciate the help.

These kinds of marks are spread all over the fretboard, not limited to the spots I circled in the picture. I've checked my fretting hand when playing and I doubt I'm pressing hard enough to even touch the fingerboard, let alone leave marks in it. These are jumbo frets too, so there's a solid amount of space between a pressed string and wood. My touch isn't that hard either I think.

I think that's just wood grain that I noticed after cleaning. I admit that I left residue along the frets as one of you pointed out, I was supposed to use a soft toothbrush to clean them, but panicked a little when saw those marks thinking they might be stretch marks. I put the strings on and never finished the job.

Thanks again for your help!

Michael

Comment

It just looks like a tiny bit of wear where your fingers are falling on either side of the strings. You can see it better on non-finished maple neck guitars. I would throw it away just in case. It is probably not useable at this point.

Seriously though, you can buff that away by using some fine steel wool on your fretboard if it bothers you.

Comment

Working...
          X