• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitched, Pocketed, Grided & AutoTuned

How Computers Ruined Rock Music:

Where's the mojo?

Re: Pitched, Pocketed, Grided & AutoTuned

Computers didn't ruin rock music. Lazy people wanting to get rich without putting in work ruined rock music. Computers were just a means to that end.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      Computers didn't ruin rock music. Lazy people wanting to get rich without putting in work ruined rock music. Computers were just a means to that end.
      I actually agree with this. Lazy 'producers' in the early 80s ruined a lot of rock music. There were a lot of people at that time doing some interesting things with computers, but the feeding frenzy created a lot of mediocre slop.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        How Computers Ruined Rock Music:

Where's the mojo?
        but he's using a computer to transmit information to other ppl using a computer network, right?

Comment

Y'all didn't watch the vid.

Comment

Who needs to to know Pro-tools homogenized everything. "The industry Standard ".
            Haven't you got anything better to do than try and tell us stuff we already know .
            Maybe you could learn to use correct English and not your cannedarseslang
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              Y'all didn't watch the vid.
              I watched the initial parts, not auto-tune.

Now that said, you remember "we're stars" song right? My first attemts to cover the rhythm were horrible, there was clear missing of synchronization between yours and my track. After DP spotted this and I acknowledged it, I spent 2-3 nights non-stop to try and be close to your tempo until DP accepted as passable. OK. Now in the greek forum we had to make the song without your parts, but the editor didn't even use my "good" rhythmh track, he used an older one (which was quite off the beat) and made it sound great. When I asked him WTF has he done to it, he replied editing. OK, then I told him the whole story from the SD forums and the guy replied that almost EVERY album has this much and more editing done to it. Which means that your vid makes some sense. But, its quite inevidable that tech would turn out this way sooner or later, and its a common trend in all fields not just music.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                Who needs to to know Pro-tools homogenized everything. "The industry Standard ".
                Haven't you got anything better to do than try and tell us stuff we already know .
                Maybe you could learn to use correct English and not your cannedarseslang
                You didn't watch it, either. In essence, he makes a great point about losing the human feel on the rhythm with quantization.

Besides that, the day you sit behind a DAW and learn how to record... is the day wallabies fly and dingoes sing.

Comment

For those that didn't watch the vid, he makes a great point about losing the human feel on the rhythm with quantization.

The human feel, or "groove / swing" if you will, being elastic by being behind the beat sometimes; slight changes in tempo.

When you grid (per tempo) up the drums for example and line everything up according to the grid, the human element is removed.

Thus sounding like a machine/computer.
                  Last edited by LLL; 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I've made the same argument about quantization killing the feel of songs pretty frequently.

Comment

Hogwash. Technically focused points relating to a problem that is not technical in the slightest.

It all comes down to songwriting, in the end. You can produce something a billion different ways, and good songwriting will always show through it.

There are people writing good rock songs. We just don't hear them any more, because they don't get picked up by big outlets.

It's an issue of distribution, really, not an issue of talent.

And FWIW, this is coming from one of the most curmudgeonly "I don't listen to that new crap" music listeners around these parts.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-14-2019, 03:47 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

It’s interesting where he shows songs before people were quantizing to the grid, and how the BPM’s within the song changes.

Comment

Being naturally sloppy and lacking the patience it takes to be anal like in the video, I found I actually did the reverse of what he's talking about when I just recorded my first track for my band..

I used a drum machine, but then diid'nt stick the drum sections together right (there were gaps when I zoomed in later..but I'd already edited my guitars/bass tracks accordingly).

Click image for larger version

Name:	waveform.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	5813628

This made the guitar/bass stuff I'd recorded on my looper with a click track sound a bit misaligned to the drum track that I laid down with my MT drummer 2 software. I thought there was difference between the two tempo's (though I'd set both to "140 bpm"..but still, my looper's cheap and Chinese ) but it was actually the gaps between the drum bars that caused the misalignment.

Anyway,I compensated a bit with the guitars and bass tracks by hacking a bit off here and there..and boom..really "humanized" the whole thing pretty nicely in the process..

But yeah, what this guy is talking about is the reason why when you listen to old Maiden records..they sound so ****ing lively and real. The tempo constantly shifts/changes. The riffs are all real with often glaring differnces in tempo from one measure/bar to the next..vocals don't line up drums lag/speed up. ..and the end result is timeless ****ing insanity.

Stuff you can go nuts banging your hed to 30-40 years down the line

On the other hand you have all the fake anally edited/overproduced **** that's being churned out constantly on today's "music assembly lines" that no one's going to remember by the end of the year
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                            Being naturally sloppy and lacking the patience it takes to be anal like in the video, I found I actually did the reverse of what he's talking about when I just recorded my first track for my band..

I used a drum machine, but then diid'nt stick the drum sections together right (there were gaps when I zoomed in later..but I'd already edited my guitars/bass tracks accordingly).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97471[/ATTACH]

This made the guitar/bass stuff I'd recorded on my looper with a click track sound a bit misaligned to the drum track that I laid down with my MT drummer 2 software. I thought there was difference between the two tempo's (though I'd set both to "140 bpm"..but still, my looper's cheap and Chinese ) but it was actually the gaps between the drum bars that caused the misalignment.

Anyway,I compensated a bit with the guitars and bass tracks by hacking a bit off here and there..and boom..really "humanized" the whole thing pretty nicely in the process..

But yeah, what this guy is talking about is the reason why when you listen to old Maiden records..they sound so ****ing lively and real. The tempo constantly shifts/changes. The riffs are all real with often glaring differnces in tempo from one measure/bar to the next..vocals don't line up drums lag/speed up. ..and the end result is timeless ****ing insanity.

Stuff you can go nuts banging your hed to 30-40 years down the line

On the other hand you have all the fake anally edited/overproduced **** that's being churned out constantly on today's "music assembly lines" that no one's going to remember by the end of the year
                            Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              Hogwash. Technically focused points relating to a problem that is not technical in the slightest.

It all comes down to songwriting, in the end. You can produce something a billion different ways, and good songwriting will always show through it.

There are people writing good rock songs. We just don't hear them any more, because they don't get picked up by big outlets.

It's an issue of distribution, really, not an issue of talent.

And FWIW, this is coming from one of the most curmudgeonly "I don't listen to that new crap" music listeners around these parts.
                              It's not an either-or situation, both points are true. The stuff that is getting widely distributed is being produced as described, as is most of the home studio stuff, too (to be completely honest).

Comment

Working...
                              X