Describe this "Tone" - Video Clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describe this "Tone" - Video Clip

Hi guys! I put this post here in the Pickup Lounge, because I feel it has most to do with pickups. I do realize there is a LOT that goes into creating a specific "tone," other than just pickups, but I really like the sound of this guys guitar.
    So again, how would you describe this tone? Here's a link and I'll give credits to Lee Brice for his song: "Rumor." I'm specifically talking about the short solo from: 2:10 - 2:26

BTW, I'm not looking for a pissing match with replies telling others what a bonehead they are for THEIR description of the tone. Just tell me how YOU describe the tone.

Thanks guys!
    Glen in New Hampshire
    Last edited by comstox; 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM.

Re: Describe this "Tone" - Video Clip

Warm, fat, round.

Comment

Les Paul, Fender Champ?

Comment

I'd call it pretty "meh". To be more descriptive, it's a bit weak and in between all of the things that I believe create a good tone. Part of that may be the placement in the mix, but I was left really wanting for more of anything. The tone isn't big enough to sound fat, too clean to sound pushed and too short on top end to have sparkle. It's a really middle of the road tone that doesn't stand out in any way to me and sounds "incomplete" for lack of a better term.

Please don't take my comments as an indictment of you, the player or the song. It's just not my bag, as I'm sure many of the sounds I like aren't your bag and it would be a boring world if we all agreed on what sounded good.

Comment

Heavily compressed

Comment

Ashamed, desperate, lonely, and broke.
            87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Warm, round and tubular

First impression: lipstick pickups with mild overdrive (though other singles and even some split/parallel humbuckers could cop a similar tone)

Check this out:

Comment

I have gotten a similar tone with a split Sentient/Hybrid set through my Boogie Subway Rocket and a Boss CS3

As set of Texas Specials with the right set up would also pull it off.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

What comes to mind is:

P90 pickup into a real Blackface Fender (I'll go with a Deluxe).

It doesn't have that PAF chime, so no PAF humbucker.

It's a slightly driven, gritty tone and I swear I hear Blackface circuit (I own a '66 Deluxe)... with that unique EQ to it.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a strat single coil in neck position
                    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Sounds like what I've heard on hundreds of "my wife left me, my dog died and my truck broke down" songs. Then again, I've never listened to those songs often enough or long enough to analyze the tone beyond the point of familiarity to the tone in the clip that was posted ...

Comment

Depending on your level of tone snobbery, you might not agree with this, but a Texas Special in the neck of a Strat through a Blues Driver into a Fender 212 will get you as near as makes no difference to the tone you are looking for. You might even get a better sound if you know what you are after.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

was gonna say a strat neck pup into a tube screamer into a bf fender reverb amp = that tone. is that was hes using? dunno but with that setup, you could get that tone

Comment

I hear a generic strat neck pickup.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

His touch is important : there are some left fingers vibratos and various level of picking attack (= dynamic)
                              This is a neck pickup, maybe a Strat. It could have a compressor (but not a Dyna-Comp (the only one I've got) since it does not have the typical MXR red comp additional 6 milli-sec attack).

PS : Thanks to Masta' for the Lipstick pup demo. Interesting.
                              Last edited by Francois; 04-15-2019, 12:38 PM.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                              X