Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

Hello everyone. My name is Mike and I am from Greece. First of all I want to apologise for my English.
    I recently purchased a used Ibanez 360 by an add on internet. When I first try the guitar to my amplifier (Fender mustang 1. v1) I was not happy at all. I thought it sounded dull and thin.
    It is supposed to have a true duo bucker on the bridge and quantum singles at middle and neck.
    What kind of magnets are there in the pickups. Is it ok to change magnets or is it completely useless. If so what pickups do you suggest to use. I mostly like blues Albert Collins is my man (someday I 'll have a telecaster). I also like scorpions ,cranberries and I definitely don't play country music. Sorry for my big message , thanks for your time. Please help.
    Last edited by Mick Corona; 04-15-2019, 12:28 AM.

Re: Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

Hello Mick and welcome to the forum!

First off, your SA360 is more than capable of a myriad of great tones with those pickups.

The Quantum singles have Alnico mags and the TruDuo is a hybrid design that uses both Alnico and Ceramic mags. You are better off leaving the magnets alone in all 3 of those pickups.

I can tell you right off the bat that your guitar is more capable of good tone than your amp. The 20W Mustang with its 8" speaker is terribly limiting and really doesn't allow the body of your sound to come through as effectively as it should. If another guitar sounded very warm and full through that amp, it would probably come off as muddy and bass-heavy in a bigger amp.

I would strongly recommend investing in a better amp before I worried about changing any aspects of that guitar in your case.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I went to my local music store and checked my guitar to a fender champion 20 and a little blackstar (there weren't "real" amps available that time). It also sounded lifeless something like cheap classic or acoustic guitar. A 120$ fender Stratocaster bullet sounded much better.
      Besides that my son's Ibanez grg 270 and my old Japanese teiscosomething sounds better on my little mustang. Thanks again.

Comment

Speaking about amps what do you think about a Peavey bandit 112 (probably the newer version) . I found it for 150€

Comment

Peavey Bandits are very good solid state amps and take pedals well. Usually a lot of power for the money.

Sounds like something is wrong with the electronics (pots, wiring, jack, etc) on the Ibanez.

Comment

The guitar is new. There is no scratching or something. Everything seems working ok . Perhaps you mean that they are of bad quality.

Comment

The guitar is new. There is no scratching from the pots or something. Everything seems working ok . Perhaps you mean that they are of bad quality.

Comment

Do you mean that the pickups are rather bright sounding, but just a bit lifeless (lacking in character)? Or that their output is low or the sound is unusually thin and weak?

Is the thin/dull sound in all positions? Do you notice a difference when you use the push-pull knob for the bridge humbucker?

What type of music are you playing? Do you use any effects through the Mustang?

Comment

When I change positions at the 5 position switch the sound changes "colour" a little. At the first and second position if I push or pull the volume pot , sound also changes a little bit. Everything seems that's working properly. But I only accept the humbuckers sound and maybe at the second position sound too. And as I said maybe. Not that there is something to make me laugh. Surely I think there is no problem with output. There is bass , there is treble and as you said no character. The action tends to be low. The neck has a little relief. I'd like to check the nut and the strings height . Sometimes I hear a little fret buzz but not that much and it confuses me if it could make the guitar sound a little hursh.
                  I like to play mostly blues ,really slow . And I also like rock and a little hard rock like Scorpions
                  Either I used effects or not on the amp , the sounds "colour" problem was there.
                  I forgot to mention that the singlecoils are staggered , not evenly as the strings radius but that Stratocaster strange staggered style.
                  I unscrewed the neck pickup and underside was stamped "SBS6098" . Also there was glued a big white rubber block which I didn't remove so I don't know if there was something else written. I'm worried that the pickups are not quantum but some cheap Chinese imitation.

Thanks again.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mick Corona; 04-15-2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Your pickups look like they should...

Comment

I don't want to misrespect masta'c but are there any other opinions? Something that I'm missing, maybe?
                      I also want to add that the guy who sold me the guitar told me to change the strings. At my local guitar shop the seller said they were ok. So the sound problems I mention were with the old strings. Now I have put daddario nyxl 09/42 and it sounds better. But is it ok, is it me, is it in my mind?
                      After that all situation I have that strange filling.
                      So please, if there is something you suggest I would be happy to hear it.

Comment

Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

Have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups?

Comment

I think the OP is only hearing the guitar through littler practice amps, which make the guitar sound little. That’s just another opinion, since asked for. I don’t have that particular guitar but I have had lots of amps, and the amp, and the room you listen in, can make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            I think the OP is only hearing the guitar through littler practice amps, which make the guitar sound little. That’s just another opinion, since asked for. I don’t have that particular guitar but I have had lots of amps, and the amp, and the room you listen in, can make a huge difference.

It's true, I don't have access to any "real" amp.
                            Thanks for your answer.
                            By the way , what is OP?
                            Last edited by Mick Corona; 04-17-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups?

I tried but I'm not sure I did it right.
                              How far from the strings should the pickup be?
                              Please forgive me for my bad english

Comment

Working...
                              X