WIth Pickguard or without, need to decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIth Pickguard or without, need to decide

Both of these guitars are new and one of them is most likely getting shipped to me from Japan this week, the question that I'm having trouble with is with pickguard or without.
    Both look amazing, I really like direct mount pickups, but the one with the pickguard looks really classy. FWIW, both bodies are alder, the maple is a thin laminate just for looks, and it is a swimming pool route under the pickguard (or at least the older ones were).

No pickguard
    54.17%
    Pickguard
    45.83%

Re: WIth Pickguard or without, need to decide

With, hands down. A guard always makes a guitar look better IME.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

That blue quilt is the secks, but I love the utilitarian guard/black body combo...

I’m clearly no help.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The black body is quilted too, just doesn't show up as good in the pic. But, yeah, the blue looks great! I'm having a lot of trouble, hence why I'm asking you hooligans!

Not the same guitar, but same model and color (this one is actually used, ~minty with only a couple of small scratches in the clear coat on the back, and a couple a benjamins less).

Last edited by devastone; 04-14-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Or the outside contender, the discontinued Wes Hauch 7-string, a 7 string tele with 24 SS frets and a floyd, if it was only any color other than white with a brown back... I love my beat up 7620, and really don't need another 7 string, I'm looking for the main player, but this one keeps creeping in to the running.

Comment

Well right now I'm the 33.33%. No pickguard.
            That blue is stunning.

I just googled Kinko....I didn't get no guitars.
            Oh my mistake, that was kink.
            Last edited by PS412; 04-14-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Put me down for no pick guard.

Comment

7 string Tele.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  7 string Tele.
                  Don't need it but it's tempting, it will stay on the short list even if I grab one of the others.

Comment

I like it with the pickguard because of the headstock shape puts me in the mind of an old Kramer beak headstock. Also, since its maple Id go with zebras.
                    Are these made in Japan or something?

Edit:
                    Also I just noticed the bridge is most likely a Gotoh made for Schecter so that's cool.
                    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Yes - https://schecter.co.jp/schecterjapan/

And yes, Schecter branded Gotoh

And no on the zebras (IMHO, especially with the black/white thing already going on), actually thinking/hoping the MIJ Superrocks won't need to be changed.
                      Last edited by devastone; 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I say with -only because the blue guitar looks like every other super strat -as super strats traditionally drop the pickgaurd. whereas the black with pickguard is different looking by going back to roots.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at, looking for something that looks as cool at a rock gig (should I do those again) but also looks classy at church or, wherever. Of course, I can kinda see either of those doing that too. I have a counter-offer I'm considering on the black one that runs out tonight, hence decision time. I could pick up the used black one cheaper, but since it's coming from Japan, I feel safer buying the new one, though not sure I can say why, warranty issues are pretty much out of the question with shipping charges and I'm sure Schecter USA won't help, they seem to be separate entities under the same umbrella.

Although I think the staging of the photos is something too, the first pic the black is at the perfect angle. And to complicate it, Ishibashi has a minty blue one with pickguard too.

And, YES, I'M TOTALLY OVERTHINKING IT! Like every decision involving money now (long story).
                          Last edited by devastone; 04-14-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

On these particular guitars I prefer the one with the pickguard. Similar reasons as NegativeEase - it just looks more "right"

Comment

I'd go without. I prefer the more subtle top of the black quilt

Comment

Working...
                              X