Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a color

Hi.

Got this charvel desolation and its got a black chrome hardware. Floyd rose 1000 series. With hardened steel saddles and brass sustain block.

Got a deal on a gold hardware german made original floyd rose but came with an R2 nut, thats the deal.

I wont be installing that R2 because of a horrible missmatch with it being a small/short fitting that means i will be using the stock black chrome nut that cames with the guitar.

Need help so i can sleep better.

Should i go with all black chrome hardware or does it look ok with gold bridge and the stock black chrome nut?

Re: Need help choosing a color

Are the blocks the same depth on both? Or will you transfer the big-block (which I assume is the correct depth for the guitar) over the the gold trem?

If the blocks aren't close there can be a weird angle on the springs from claw to block,,,,,,can cause issues depending,,,,,,,some do have spring-locker bars too.

Also, you could always just buy some gold locking pads for the nut instead of changing the nut itself.
    Last edited by dave74; 04-15-2019, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Visually, the color mis-match isn't my favorite, but you could also use the clamp pads from the R2 nut on your factory nut to bring a little gold to the headstock, as well

Comment

Chrome or black for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not into gold, but I don’t mind the mismatch. Agree on using the gold pieces from the new nut.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Black....definitely.

I’ve never really liked gold hardware.

Comment

IMHO, black, that guitar has enough going on already with all the abalone.

To me the only place gold hardware is acceptable is on a LP Custom.

Comment

Tricky.

I guess I'd go with black as that huge gold piece of trem steers my attention away from the fancy figured top of the guitar.

Not my style at all but I think it looks fantastic.
                Wackor
                Řrdřg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Spray it black
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I see a gold trem and I want to paint it black

Comment

Gold looks great --- for a little while then it looks like pure s#$t. Stay with the Black trust me you WILL regret the gold if you are going to actually play the guitar and regret it quickly!
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Black & chrome

Comment

Yet another vote for black chrome.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont like the gold bridge unless it's with other gold hardware on the guitar like tuners

Also, that's not a great color green with the tiger maple stripes for gold hardware -a lighter like mint, sea foam or shoreline mist green or a darker flat art deco era green would look WAAAAY better with gold hardware IMO

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

If you go gold you can't skimp on the gold.. tuners, string tree, strap buttons, volume knob, switch, pickup height screws, and whatever parts you can use for the locking nut.

If you go that route I'd also suggest switching to an aged white/parchment set of pickup rings. Same for the switch tip. Details matter

Comment

Working...
                              X