banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best cap/resistor material for DIY pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best cap/resistor material for DIY pedals?

I'm starting to shift from DIY pedal kits to building my own circuits from modded diagrams. My question is though, what spec and material parts should I buy for my projects and where can I find them?

Re: What is the best cap/resistor material for DIY pedals?

The info here should set you up:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/p/components.html
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use tantalum for values above 1uf and metal film caps below 1uf. They are small and have a great resistance to noise. Most people don't like ceramic capacitors because of their loose tolerances, but you might find that in the right applications the slight bass cut that they impart can be quite useful.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Every time I say don't use ceramics, I find some amazing sounding audio circuit thats chock full of them..

This **** is a dark art!!!!! no rules!! Anarchy!
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Tolerances are probably gonna be the really important part
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Even the inexpensive (and "no name") metal film resistors tolerances are tight and they are quiet. So, unless you are trying to recreate some type of vintage mojo circuit, I wouldn't be too picky on resistors in terms of paying big money for mil spec Vishays or the like. On a related note, I'm doubtful that you would hear much difference between metal film and carbon film (or carbon comp) resistors in a stomp box outside of maybe what would be caused by the looser tolerances of the carbon resistors. For capacitors though, I do prefer to use electrolytics of known quality (ie Panasonic). For film caps, I really don't hear any differences in pedals between brands but the cheap box caps can stretch the limits for tolerances. That's my experience anyway with cheaper brands like "Topmay" (sold by Small Bear and most likely under other brand names, or un-named, by other vendors). On the other hand, the cheap dipped film caps I've used have been tighter in tolerance.

I'm not an electronics tech or pro pedal builder. More of a hack ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              I use tantalum for values above 1uf and metal film caps below 1uf. They are small and have a great resistance to noise. Most people don't like ceramic capacitors because of their loose tolerances, but you might find that in the right applications the slight bass cut that they impart can be quite useful.
              I do the same. Composite ceramic caps are good very small small values, like 150pF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X