Wat mic and interface do I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wat mic and interface do I get?

I want good friggin sound where the recorded sound sounds like my sound. Cuz I think my guitar and amp sound pretty good. I have a cheap interface and a $300 condenser mic. I'm thinking about spending $500 on an interface next. Do you have any input on what price ranges are good or what specific equipment is good?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Wat mic and interface do I get?

Have you thought about getting a less expensive dynamic mic, like an SM57 and using it to close mic your amp in conjunction with using the condenser for room sound? Then, if you're still not getting what you want, you can always upgrade the interface. What don't you like about the interface that you have now? About the only issue I could imagine is a latency problem. If that isn't it, the other mic might make more of a difference in your recording.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

If all you need is one input, I would think a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and an SM57 should do the trick. About a $200 investment.
      If two inputs are needed, a Focusrite 2i2 would do the trick.

What condenser do you have?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have an SM57 and a Sennheiser MK4. That's a good idea to try to use both. There's nothing specific I don't like about the interface all I know is I'm not getting the sound quality like others are such as:

Lindy Fralin and Chris Whiteman sit down to demo Lindy's new Mini-Humbuckers in a custom made Tele-style guitar. Our new Mini-humbuckers are wound a little ...

Description The sound of a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus humbucker in the bridge position of a Lonestar Strat. Subscribe to hear upcoming samples.

The Fralin demo is using an SM57. I'm like wtf, when I use an SM57 it sounds horrible lol.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 04-16-2019, 06:12 PM.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Where are you placing the mic? Try going right up against the grill cloth, halfway between the dust cover (center) and the edge of the speaker. If you want brighter, go closer to the dust cover. If you want a little darker, go towards the outer edge.
          Then there the whole off axis thing you can try.

Comment

I would try to get a good sound you like with one mic first. Like Demanic said, you can get a cool blended mic sounds with two mics, but then you can be dealing with phase issues.

Comment

I'll try again with the SM57 and my new amp and report back. Last time I tried with the SM57 right up against my old little amp which doesn't sound bad, I got really poor muffled sound. Nowhere near the detail I want.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 04-16-2019, 06:29 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Close micing an amp is a science and an art. Like Swampy said, you can move the position of the mic around the speaker to get different recorded sounds. What he said gives a good starting point if you know how you want to change the sound that you are picking up. But from then on, it's like adjusting pickup heights in a guitar. It can take a lot of trial and error, but if you keep track of where it finally sounds good, then you are set for the next time.

Comment

No proper demo is done with just slapping a mic in front of a cab and hitting record.

No proper awesome legendary guitar tone was either... all great recordings are an illusion.

You can bet your ass they've EQ'd and used other studio polish *after* hitting record.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Last time I tried with the SM57 right up against my old little amp which doesn't sound bad, I got really poor muffled sound. Nowhere near the detail I want.
                    That sounds odd. The SM57 is notorious for having a 6KHz hump/bite (which happens to work great for guitars).

Try positioning the SM57 straight-on, touching the grillecloth, centered on the line between the speaker dustcap and speaker (off-center).

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      No proper demo is done with just slapping a mic in front of a cab and hitting record.

No proper awesome legendary guitar tone was either... all great recordings are an illusion.

You can bet your ass they've EQ'd and used other studio polish *after* hitting record.
                      Ya did you listen to the demos I posed tho? Great tone. U really think that's EQing?
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Close micing an amp is a science and an art. Like Swampy said, you can move the position of the mic around the speaker to get different recorded sounds. What he said gives a good starting point if you know how you want to change the sound that you are picking up. But from then on, it's like adjusting pickup heights in a guitar. It can take a lot of trial and error, but if you keep track of where it finally sounds good, then you are set for the next time.
                        +1

The OP needs to learn how to properly use the tools he has rather than buying a new interface and or mics. If you can't get at least a decent electric guitar sound with an SM57 and interface, you're doing it wrong.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

If you think I don't know how to stick a mic in front of an amp, ur doing it wrong.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Check out PreSonus AudioBox iTwo Studio - Complete Mobile Hardware/Software Recording Kit it is not bad for the price. As far as positioning the mic there is no wrong or right placement of the mic it depends on what you want to capture and what your end result is. Rule of thumb on center will capture more highs. As you move towards the edge of the speaker treble rolls off and bass is more predominant. So, the mic placement depends on what YOU want as your overall tone. Starting midway between the cone and the edge is a great place to start and move the mic accordingly for desired results.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Well, that's really an opinion. I'd say many awesome classic tones we're made just by sticking a mic in front of an amp. Depends what is your defintion of "awesome legendary guitar tone"...

It's also matter of speaker: One reason I love G12H is that it sounds like it does almost regardless of conditions, unlike G12M or V12 in comparison; both require much more care with room acoustics, cab placement and recording.

It's very usual that tone that sounds great "in room" sounds muffled when recorded and vise versa.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X