Is this asking too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this asking too much?

Is there a pickup that can do the low-end growl thing like Guns N' Roses, keep the low-end tight enough for Rust In Peace tones, and give some bloom for classic-rock type chord work in a Les Paul into what is essentially now a Marshall?

I like the tones in the opening twenty seconds or so of this song, and it sounds pretty Marshally to me. What pickup would you use to do all this, or is it too much to ask?

Last edited by misterwhizzy; 04-17-2019, 09:38 PM.

Re: Is this asking too much?

I would use a Super Distortion, because that's what I like. I'm pretty sure a couple dozen other pickups could get a similar tone into that amp with that eq etc.

Comment

Im not able to listen to the video clip right now, but I think the Sh5 Custom is probably what you're looking for. In my experience it's been the only pickup that can convincingly do both the vintage mojo guns n roses PAF type tone, and a snarling metal tone totally suitable for megadeth. It actually does em' both and sounds good clean too.

You may also consider the "Custom 5", but IMO the regular ceramic Custom does what you're asking just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BeKindRewind; 04-18-2019, 03:43 AM.

Comment

The Hybrid can get these tones. For the neck, I'd go with the 59, though it isn't middy enough for GnR. You really need an alnico II magnet for that, but then you lose the low end.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

An A8 Custom with a bass cut knob/switch should get you pretty close to both of them.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

A DiMarzio Norton does that pretty well, too.

Comment

The Custom is really, really close. The ceramic may be moving the bass just slightly more into modern territory than I'd like, but I think maybe a few minutes tweaking amp settings or pole height might resolve that. I still have a Demon laying around that might eventually get its turn again, and I often land back with my Crazy 8, but the Custom and the Les Paul match really, really well.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing; the SH-5 Custom is a pretty versatile pickup, but unlike some others, it does what you want it to convincingly - not just "close enough."

Comment

Definitely a Pearly Gates

Comment

Admittedly my computer doesn't have great speakers, but that sounds a bit reminiscent of Leslie West tones on Mountain Queen (P-90).

As you can see from the comments thus far, there is almost always some compromise with buckers. Some can get a particular tone to a "T", but not quite everything you want.

A P-90 gives you bite, snarl, growl, crunch, a tight low end, and warmth when you want it. And it's almost infinitely variable with mag swap combinations.

You can get P-90s in humbucker format or you can get humbucker-sized mounting rings to fit P-90s.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X