Amplier recording 101 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplier recording 101 question

Hi. I have a question I’m pretty sure I know the answer to but I do t really know the “why”. So why can’t I take an amp head, like the Orange Micro Terror 20watt, and go direct line from the “speaker out” and plug that into the line-in of a digital multitrack recorder, to record my guitar through that amp? Or can I do that and get ok results?

Re: Amplier recording 101 question

you can use a line out but not a speaker out and even the direct out wont sound "right" the speaker is a big part of the sound of an electric guitar so most people use a speaker simulator of one kind or another

Comment

Speaker out is High Current/Voltage not Line Level -DO NOT DO THAT

Your Multitrack recorder input can ONLY take line level or less -meaning you need a "line out" of the amp -so since you don't have one -use the Phone out -but only one side -either left or right. -
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Pretty sure the voltage out of a speaker output would be a lot higher than the input on the recording device would be expecting.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          you can use a line out but not a speaker out and even the direct out wont sound "right" the speaker is a big part of the sound of an electric guitar so most people use a speaker simulator of one kind or another
          Thanks. Are there any inexpensive speaker sims to put between an amp speaker out and a daw recorder, that you know of

Comment

You can do this safely by running the headphone out from your Micro Terror to your interface. It emulates a 4x12 cab, too.

You can't do that with most all-tube amps but with Orange Micro heads, you can safely run them unloaded.
            Last edited by Empty Pockets; 04-18-2019, 01:27 PM.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

To clarify:

Never connect anything else, except speaker or load box designed to replace the speaker, to Speaker out.

If your amp has Solid State power amp, you can run it without speaker connected.

If it has headphone out or line out you can use that to record direct.

If your amp has Tube power amp, never turn it on without speaker, or load that replaces the speaker.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Good stereo or high fi speakers will reproduce sound in a very neutral and flat way from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Guitar speakers are anything but flat. They're usually extremely hyped in the mid range with little to no bass and high frequencies. Try plugging your guitar into the line in on a hi-fi system and you'll see what it sounds like when you record direct in . . . it's a weird sound that your ears are not used to. The amp speaker radically reshapes the sound of the amp, and we're very used to hearing it.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ok thanks for all your replies. I really didn’t know I should completely avoid using the speaker out as line out. Or not to run an amp head with out speaker or something connected.

So are amps with “emulated speaker out” through the headphone jacks any different than any amp that has a “headphone out” jack? Or does an emulated headphone out have something more to it? Would the “speaker out” to a Red Box type amp simulator give me better sound than “headphone out”?

Comment

Originally posted by Martyb View Post
                    Ok thanks for all your replies. I really didn’t know I should completely avoid using the speaker out as line out. Or not to run an amp head with out speaker or something connected.

So are amps with “emulated speaker out” through the headphone jacks any different than any amp that has a “headphone out” jack? Or does an emulated headphone out have something more to it? Would the “speaker out” to a Red Box type amp simulator give me better sound than “headphone out”?
                    The Headphone jack is good to use -it's usually right before the power output section -not sure on the Terror where it is -An emulated speaker output is a line level pick off of the power output section -safe for recording and sounds like the entire amp -cool to have but getting a recording from the Headphone out will sound great -it's the preamp section.

Also -let me be very clear -IF YOU HAVE A HEADPHONE OUTPUT CONNECTED -YOU DO NOT NEED A SPEAKER CAB ATTACHED TO THE SPEAKER OUTPUT -engaging the headphone out bypasses the input to the output transformer -I read the manual for you.

but the moment you pull a cable out of the headphone output -if the amp is on you MUST have a load (Speaker cabinet attached)
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-18-2019, 06:28 PM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

You need to line out (many ways, some built in) somehow with your amp, then in the DAW use a speaker iR (if you want full control over the "speaker" tone, that is).

For example, here's my ADA MP-1 lined out to DAW with speaker iR, EQ, etc:

Last edited by LLL; 04-18-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        but the moment you pull a cable out of the headphone output -if the amp is on you MUST have a load (Speaker cabinet attached)
                        *EDIT* I did say that the micro terror doesn't need a speaker hooked up because it is a solid state amp, but NegativeEase is correct, the manual does say it needs to have a speaker connected.
                        Last edited by devastone; 04-18-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          *EDIT* I did say that the micro terror doesn't need a speaker hooked up because it is a solid state amp, but NegativeEase is correct, the manual does say it needs to have a speaker connected.
                          I wasnt calling you out BTW, on principle you were/are correct -I just learned that in the manual and thought it was relevant.

It's probably a good idea never unplug the speaker cabinet.

Comment

I didn't think you were calling me out at all, good catch. Not sure why that would be on a SS amp, but safest to do what the manual says.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              I didn't think you were calling me out at all, good catch. Not sure why that would be on a SS amp, but safest to do what the manual says.
                              Cool, because It would take a lot for me to correct or call something out in a rude way -It's not in my nature. I encourage respect for all -I'm a fan on civilization in principle.

Comment

Working...
                              X