Amplier recording 101 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amplier recording 101 question

There are a lot of pedals and load boxes these days as direct recording has become super popular. I do direct recording with my Fractal (digital out) as I don't have the space for a traditional speaker/microphone setup here.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I don’t have a micro terror, it was just an example I was considering. So to use the “speaker out” I would need a amp simulator AND something for the load, if I didn’t have a speaker cab attached. BUT I don’t need to do that because the “headphone out” will give decent results for line out recording. (Just don’t unplug the headphone out without speaker attached. That’s what I think your consensus is

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        You need to line out (many ways, some built in) somehow with your amp, then in the DAW use a speaker iR (if you want full control over the "speaker" tone, that is).

For example, here's my ADA MP-1 lined out to DAW with speaker iR, EQ, etc:

Yes that’s good sound. So IR = impulse response software plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by Martyb View Post
          So IR = impulse response software plugin?
          Correctamundo. (yes)

Comment

Originally posted by Martyb View Post
            Ok thanks for the info. I don’t have a micro terror, it was just an example I was considering. So to use the “speaker out” I would need a amp simulator AND something for the load, if I didn’t have a speaker cab attached. BUT I don’t need to do that because the “headphone out” will give decent results for line out recording. (Just don’t unplug the headphone out without speaker attached. That’s what I think your consensus is
            Well, you can use headphone and line outs for recording, but how "decent" that sounds entirely depends on the amp and listener.

I wonder why does Micro Terror needs cab connected . But I guess you should do that when the manual says so.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Marty, what are you using as a recording app? If it has VST capability I would suggest downloading the Studio Devil British Valve Custom Guitar Amp Modeling Plug In. It a great sounding FREE (no time limit) Marshall plug in with speaker emulation.

VST,vacuum,tube,amp,amplifier,plugin,plug-in,valve,tone,free,virtual,DSP,guitar,signal,processing,processor,effects,guitar, bass, electric, amp, tube, vacuum, valve, distortion, overdrive, head, amplifier, cabinet, tone, gain, vst, plug, in, plugin, plug-in, di, direct, recording, speaker, marshall, fender, mesa, boogie, 12ax7, 12ax7a, ecc83, pod, emulation, emulator, modeling, modeler, model, digital, preamp, preamplifier, mid, mids, treble, pres, presence, control, knob, knobs, pickup, drive, clip, clipping, limiter, eq, equalizer, equaliser, compressor, compression, studio, devil, studiodevil, british, valve, custom, bvc, gallo, engineering, engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Marty, what are you using as a recording app? If it has VST capability I would suggest downloading the Studio Devil British Valve Custom Guitar Amp Modeling Plug In. It a great sounding FREE (no time limit) Marshall plug in with speaker emulation.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/..._valve_custom/
                Thanks I’ll definitely give that a try, sounds like a good amp model and price! I use Cubase and Sonar because they were both also free.

Comment

Working...
                X