Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagstrom UltraSwede upgrade! Halp

Hi everyone,
    I’m looking forward to upgrade my ultraswede (currently Hagstrom Custom 62 Humbuckers) to get more aggressive tones. I love to record some kind of experimental rock stuff: not properly fusion or industrial, but strange. I’ve got another guitar for good chimey tones, and I’d like to upgrade this one to get more metal kind of tones for aggressive sections.
    I’ve been looking up for DiMarzios but they’re definitely too expensive, it doesn’t make much sense on this guitar. Seymour Duncan’s offer is the hell wide, I’m confused. I like good cleans and clear distortions for chords or solos and for this reason I liked particularly the Mayhem set (from the sample) from the ceramics selections, even if there aren’t splitted coils samples.
    Can anyone give me any advice? I’m getting mad to figure out a good choice in this ocean!
    Thank you really much in advance!!

Re: Hagstrom UltraSwede upgrade! Halp

The Mayhem set is pretty solid. It sounds even better if you swap alnico mags in. I recommend a double thick A8 in the bridge and an A9 in the neck. It's sort of half metal half classic which is cool. There are other pups that sound full metal such as the Black Winter set.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

'Strange' and 'experimental' is probably close to stuff I like. I tend to use a more vintage-output set to process and boost down the line later. I don't want the tone to be compressed unless I throw a compressor in front. I want a cleaner sound in case I use a ton of reverb or delay. If I need a higher output, I boost the signal down the line, but I like to have the cleaner option. I stick to 59s, and Alnico II Pros.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        The Mayhem set is pretty solid. It sounds even better if you swap alnico mags in. I recommend a double thick A8 in the bridge and an A9 in the neck. It's sort of half metal half classic which is cool. There are other pups that sound full metal such as the Black Winter set.
        You mean Alternative 8? I’ve listened now to it. I really hope the samples are highly reliable, from the audio I liked it for having clarity in the high frequencies, but I still prefer the Mayhem for che clarity overall. Many of this pickups are kinda muffled, especially the black winter set which I heard yesterday. I looking for an open and aggressive sound, some kind of late king crimson work...
        Thanks for your answer!
        Ps I can’t find the Alternative 9...??

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          'Strange' and 'experimental' is probably close to stuff I like. I tend to use a more vintage-output set to process and boost down the line later. I don't want the tone to be compressed unless I throw a compressor in front. I want a cleaner sound in case I use a ton of reverb or delay. If I need a higher output, I boost the signal down the line, but I like to have the cleaner option. I stick to 59s, and Alnico II Pros.
          Well yeah I don’t know how to label what I record. Some times I use classical guitar, some times strato, but now I’m trying to get a good distortion tone. I mean, I used already the Custom 62 set, it’s not that bad afterall but I want everything to be at best, it’s kinda maniacal.
          My references are mostly king crimson late stuff, as earlier porcupine tree (Steven wilson’s) works.
          Much prog/fusion (I’m not that good tho lol). I’m not really into metal but inevitably some (like those) musicians perform between genres.
          I didn’t like much the Alnico II Pros, that’s a real vintage tone. That doesn’t mean I dislike classical tones, I firstly was looking for some kinda PAFs, but I think I need something more modern because those tones immediately reminds me of classic rock.
          However I fell deep in love with the ‘59 neck pickup. That’s amazing. The Mayhem neck pickup is muffled, while the 59 has a dreamy clean and clear distortion (if I want to muffle it I just work on the eq, while it’s quite difficult to do the opposite).
          This is a shame, I was looking for a set to save a bit but I’m really interested on the Mayhem bridge and ‘59 neck. Does the Mayhem pickups come separate from the set?
          Anyway, any other advice??
          Thank you really much for your answer

Comment

Hagstrom UltraSwede upgrade! Halp

Originally posted by giulioskij View Post
            You mean Alternative 8? I’ve listened now to it. I really hope the samples are highly reliable, from the audio I liked it for having clarity in the high frequencies, but I still prefer the Mayhem for che clarity overall. Many of this pickups are kinda muffled, especially the black winter set which I heard yesterday. I looking for an open and aggressive sound, some kind of late king crimson work...
            Thanks for your answer!
            Ps I can’t find the Alternative 9...??

A8 and A9 are magnet types.
            He is suggesting you swap magnets into the Mayhem set.

If you like what you hear in the Mayhem set I’d suggest installing that set, then afterwards you can always experiment with different magnets later if you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              A8 and A9 are magnet types.
              He is suggesting you swap magnets into the Mayhem set.

If you like what you hear in the Mayhem set I’d suggest installing that set, then afterwards you can always experiment with different magnets later if you feel it necessary.
              Well... I had no idea I could do that! What would change by doing it?
              Thank you for your elucidation, I was confused

Comment

Hagstrom UltraSwede upgrade! Halp

Each magnet type has different tone qualities. Check this out.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

These are some of the more common magnets used in pickups. Not every type is represented here but it will give you some insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Each magnet type has different tone qualities. Check this out.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

These are some of the more common magnets used in pickups. Not every type is represented here but it will give you some insight.
                  Oh I know this thread! She did an awesome job, I passed one hour trying to scope all the differences. But I didn’t know I could swap magnets in the humbuckers, I’m really surprised... so I can buy magnets on the Seymour Duncan site to swap them??

Comment

Try mojotone.com
                    There are other sites, some serving Europe too. Hopefully some other members will post those sites for you, as I’m not familiar with them
                    AFAIK, the Duncan site doesn’t sell them.

Comment

Here's a demo of the black winter set in a hagstrom swede

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
                      "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by chris effect View Post
                        Here's a demo of the black winter set in a hagstrom swede

Wow, thank you!! I looked up for hagstrom’s videos but I never found this one! It was very useful. While black winter are some really good pickups, for the sound I’m looking for I think the Mayhem set sticks better... I’m only uncertain about the 59 neck which sounds really really great...

Comment

I have two mayhem sets and they're my favorite pickups. Great decision! I too like the 59 neck, it's probably my favorite vintage output neck humbucker. Pairs well with the distortion bridge

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by chris effect View Post
                            I have two mayhem sets and they're my favorite pickups. Great decision! I too like the 59 neck, it's probably my favorite vintage output neck humbucker. Pairs well with the distortion bridge

I liked much the 59’s crystal clean tones as well as the sweet distortion lead ones. However I can’t buy the Mayhem set and the 59 neck toghether... I hoped they sold the Mayhem bridge separately but I think I’ll like the Mayhem neck as well in the end...

Comment

Hagstrom? Agressive? Black Winters, naturally....
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X