banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENGL fireball100 compared to vh140, 5150, dual rec (NOT a VS thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL fireball100 compared to vh140, 5150, dual rec (NOT a VS thread)

This isnt about which is "better". they are all incredible. I ask about those amps specifically because ive owned them all and thus make a good reference when talking about and comparing the tones of the fireball100 (NOT THE 60)
    Thanks

Things im interested in...
    -thickness of overall tone.
    -tightness.
    -graininess of the gain.
    -percusive "thump/punch" of the lowend.
    -how well in cuts live.
    -build quality/reliability.
    -how good is its built in gate.
    -any experiences or other cool or not so cool facts about the fireball 100 !

Thanks!
    Last edited by gmork; 04-19-2019, 02:22 AM.

Re: ENGL fireball100 compared to vh140, 5150, dual rec (NOT a VS thread)

I had one a while back and sure it was tight, and aggressive, and the noise gate worked great...but the overall tone of the amp was very 2 dimensional. It just didn't have any character or personality.

The build quality seemed ok, but if it ever failed outside of the tubes going down, I new nobody around me at the time would be able to service it, so that wasn't encouraging either.
    If all I played was synthetic metal like Fear Factory or Rammstein or maybe Black Metal then I would have kept it, but I didn't, and had better amps at the time so I sold it.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I hear ya, i can see why it might not be for everyone. I play mosty technical death metal and kinda neo classical type stuff and i love how clear and articulate it is while still being very brutal.

Comment

As an ex-owner of an early 90's 5150, it is hard to think that there is any amp out there with a ballsier (((low end))) than a block letter 5150.

Also, the grit and massive 'body' of the dirt channel sounded primal and more agro than any other amp i have heard.

PS : Engl make some brilliant amps though.
        One day i will have an Engl.
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
        X