Incoming POD XT Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incoming POD XT Live

I've been hearing claims that the weak point of later PODs is the cab modelling, so POD with IRs is ridiculous bang per buck.

Next trick is figuring out whose IRs you like best, assuming you go for an IR loader, rather than one with fixed builtin IRs.

There's some entertaining arguments on TGP's digital modelling forum claiming IR stands for Infinite Rabbithole... But it shouldn't surprise that there's a lot of options, you are picking which speakers, in which cabinet, with what microphones at what distances mixed (and possibly EQed or otherwise further processed). It's a good thing most IR vendors are supplying quick start options these days.

Celestion Plus has a High & Low Gain All microphones options that work well on most of their speakers. I like the Suhr cabinet collection they did better than Celestion's own rig with same speakers. Bit more lower mids, though still plenty of the upper-mid cut that Celestion Plus favors.

I've heard just about exclusively positive reviews of the Ownhammer 412 GnR IR collection, too.

Comment

I'm definitely looking into the IRs.

Currently, I've got the POD going into my Super Reverb. Treble and bass very low, mids cranked, volume set so it stays clean. With the Dual Recto boosted w/ a Metal Zone patch I made, it sounds absolutely brutal. Meshuggah sounds coming out of a vintage silverface Fender is pretty funny, too.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Cabinet models/Impulse Responses (of speakers & mics) should almost never be used if you are going into an actual guitar speaker/cabinet. There are also IRs that do strange things, like make a magnetic or piezo pickup sound like an acoustic guitar (which also tend to work best through FRFR). Or longer duration Convolution IRs, which can be used to capture the acoustics of a room... Which some people have used to capture their spring reverb's sound.

Many digital modelers allow patches with cab models/IRs, then there are either special outputs for live use with cab models disabled, or you can globally disable them for particular outputs or in general (depending on what features the particular modeler supports). Dial it in for both ways, and you have a portable solution with terrific flexibility.

The effects in many modelers are no slouches, either. I've used the wah from an old modeler into a real amp occasionally (more often phaser or flanger and reverb in the effects loop). A lot of pedalboard users are still using old Line 6 DL4, DM4, FM4, and MM4.

Comment

You're on the right track, dude! Just dive into all those menus and wring out all the great tones you can, they are still in there. But while you do, don't forget about ear fatigue, it's real. Take some breaks and let your hearing readjust, when you come back to it, you'll have a better perspective.
          "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Line 6 was, and continues to be, great with their effects.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve had clean, dirty, metal rhythm and metal lead patches I’m really happy with dialed in for going on a few days. Something I’ve noticed is they all sound awesome every time I turn the POD on. The same EVERY time.

Think I just discovered why people like modelers.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That reminds me of the Real Tube II preamp I used in mid '90s. Voltage starved preamp tube design. It actually sounded great, far more dynamic than most such designs are credited to be...

The problem was it took an unpredictable amount of time, from roughly 10 minutes to half an hour to settle in on it's normal tone. So I'd quit for the night, turn it on next morning and it'd sound muffled, or thin, or otherwise incredibly weird. Start tweaking it... And it'd keep changing. Eventually I learned to never touch any controls until it'd warmed up for a while. It was also extremely sensitive to voltage variation, and we got minor brownouts a lot in the apartment where I was staying.

I can't imagine gigging or trying to do studio work with a rig that behaved like that. Thankfully most tube amps aren't as sensitive as that, warmup is more a matter of a few minutes, and they aren't quite as ridiculously sensitive to current quality, though a power conditioner is still a good idea for any pro rig.

Comment

I'm not sure if people are deliberately stupid or just trolling when they say "this doesn't sound anything like my amp in the room". Do they realize that modeling technology models a freaking microphone in front of the cab and not the live sound of the amp in the room?
                  ---

Comment

It’s funny that the happiest I’ve ever been with aggressive high gain tones was when I was a teenager, running a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp into a JC120, and now with the POD XT into a Super Reverb. The first one was tubes into solid state, and currently digital into tubes. Both resulted in the tone AND feel I wanted, at any volume.

Maybe it makes sense, though, since the sound in my head is based on equal parts Metallica, Pantera, White Zombie, and Meshuggah.

Comment

I think I bought the model packs when they were on sale - buy 3 for $99 get three free. This was in 2009. These are the ones I own:

Bass Expansion
                      Collector Classics
                      FX Junkie
                      Metal Shop
                      POD Farm 1
                      Power Pack

I never really learned out to get much out of this, so I'm starting out as a newbie again. I haven't used the PODxt for over 8 years.

There is a PODxt Live on Cinci's CL for $125, but if you got one for $90 shipped, that sounds like much. And I need to learn how to use what I've got first.

I still have the 2.3 POD and really love the tones out of that one.

What does the POD X3 give about what I have now? (just wondering).

And sorry for the newb question, but what is the IR you are talking about?

Ever think of running the POD into a stereo?
                      Last edited by DonP; 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        It’s funny that the happiest I’ve ever been with aggressive high gain tones was when I was a teenager, running a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp into a JC120, and now with the POD XT into a Super Reverb. The first one was tubes into solid state, and currently digital into tubes. Both resulted in the tone AND feel I wanted, at any volume.

Maybe it makes sense, though, since the sound in my head is based on equal parts Metallica, Pantera, White Zombie, and Meshuggah.
                        I'm into that too. My favorite HM tone at the moment is my stock Marshall 3203 (SS front end) into a 4x10 cab, with an MXR 10 band doing the Mesa V shape EQ (not as extreme). If I crank the 1K slider, it's Balls to the Wall, and a little other EQ'ing gives me Thunder in the East.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          I think I bought the model packs when they were on sale - buy 3 for $99 get three free. This was in 2009. These are the ones I own:

Bass Expansion
                          Collector Classics
                          FX Junkie
                          Metal Shop
                          POD Farm 1
                          Power Pack

I never really learned out to get much out of this, so I'm starting out as a newbie again. I haven't used the PODxt for over 8 years.

There is a PODxt Live on Cinci's CL for $125, but if you got one for $90 shipped, that sounds like much. And I need to learn how to use what I've got first.

I still have the 2.3 POD and really love the tones out of that one.

What does the POD X3 give about what I have now? (just wondering).

And sorry for the newb question, but what is the IR you are talking about?

Ever think of running the POD into a stereo?
                          The XT Live comes with FX Junkie pre-loaded. I'm still curious about the Metal Shop pack, but I really love the Treadplate (Dual Recto) model, and I just discovered Spinal Puppet. There's not a lot of metal tones I'm after that aren't available between those two.

When I'm dialing in a metal tone, I pull up my Recto preset and switch to different amps. I use the classic Mesa V EQ setting in the onboard graphic EQ, the Tubescreamer with the gain at 0, drive at max, tone at noon, and turn off the speaker model. Depending on the amp, I either scoop or boost mids, but I always keep coming back to Treadplate and Spinal Puppet.

Just saw that you're in Cincy. I'm up the road in Springfield. Hit me up if you're ever free during the day on a Wednesday and want to jam.

Comment

Like I mentioned before, I’ve got the X3 which includes all the extra amp and effect packs from before. Don’t kill yourself trying to find them, it’s just more flavors of the same tones. Add an EQ after the amp model to shape what you want. I think my favorite was something like Orange AD30 or something.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                            X