Hotter Screamin Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotter Screamin Demon

I've got an old Screamin' Demon collecting dust in my parts bin and was thinking of using it in a new project. I'd be modding this- https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier...320327510.html

I had the Demon in an old Charvel and liked the feel and harmonics of the pickup, but always felt that it lacked balls. I feel like it could totally benefit from something like the 20db preamp booster that EBMM has been putting in their guitars as of late. So, a few questions-

1) Are there any onboard active electronics like the preamp in EBMM guitars that I could hook up to the demon?
    2) What about the Blackout preamp? Would it retain the tone/ harmonics/ clarity of the demon, or just sound like any old active blackout pickup?
    3) I've also heard that there is a custom shop version of the demon which is wound hotter. Does anyone here have experience with the CS version of the demon? Does it have more balls?
    18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Re: Hotter Screamin Demon

1) Yes, there are several onboard preamp options that offer a nice boost. I actually have a NOS Seymour Duncan PASFX setup from GuitarElectronics, if you're interested. It's the Pickup Booster pedal's clean boost circuit in an onboard design (battery + pot + small toggle switch). Offers an adjustable 6db-24db boost without coloring your sound.

2) The Blackout preamp will make the tone 70% "Blackouts" and 30% "Screamin' Demon". It colors the sound heavily and changes the response noticeably.

3) The Custom Shop version, now called the "Original El Diablo" (see my thread HERE) is essentially a blend of the Screamin' Demon and the slightly hotter Custom series wind...more output, less top-end brashness, etc
    Last edited by Masta' C; 04-19-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      1) Yes, there are several onboard preamp options that offer a nice boost. I actually have a NOS Seymour Duncan PASFX setup from GuitarElectronics, if you're interested. It's the Pickup Booster pedal's clean boost circuit in an onboard design (battery + pot + small toggle switch). Offers an adjustable 6db-24db boost without coloring your sound.

2) The Blackout preamp will make the tone 70% "Blackouts" and 30% "Screamin' Demon". It colors the sound heavily and changes the response noticeably.

3) The Custom Shop version, now called the "Original El Diablo" (see my thread HERE) is essentially a blend of the Screamin' Demon and the slightly hotter Custom series wind...more output, less top-end brashness, etc

Sounds like the blackouts preamp is a no-go. Not really what I'm going for.

How would I order the original El Diablo from the custom shop and not have it confused with the rails "el diablo"? I listened to a few clips of the rails version and its totally not the sound I want. Don't want to order the El diablo and have that rails thing show up.
      Last edited by Hot Octopus; 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM.
      18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Octopus View Post
        How would I order the original El Diablo from the custom shop and not have it confused with the rails "el diablo"? I listened to a few clips of the rails version and its totally not the sound I want. Don't want to order the El diablo and have that rails thing show up.
        Call it the "OG El Diablo" and make it clear you want the hotter Demon, not the rail pickup. These guys know what they are doing and won't make the mistake of giving you the wrong pickup.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

can the emg pa2 be used with passive pups? i think it can

Comment

Screamin' Demon with A8, maybe? Or perhaps A9, or double thickness roughcast A5?

I have a friend with an A8 Demon who swears by it.

Comment

Dimarzio Steve's Special...

Comment

Double thick A8 will beef it up.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Just use it the way it is. Use a pedal if you need a boost. Or get an amp that has the balls. I have plenty of guitars with onboard preamps but it is easier just using a pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Just use it the way it is. Use a pedal if you need a boost. Or get an amp that has the balls. I have plenty of guitars with onboard preamps but it is easier just using a pedal.
                    I was gonna say if you need a Duncan, the Pickup Booster would be excellent...bonus: It works with ALL of your guitars - not just one!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Fender Eric Clapton midboost gives a 12db straight boost all the time with a 12db of midboost on top of that via the third pot. If it is left on zero, then you get 12db full spectrum boost.

I gotta say, it is quite cool to have single coils that are as loud as vintage humbuckers but still sound like single coils but.....louder!

It will do what you need. You could tape off the leads for the mid pot if you dont want to use it.

Comment

A8 Demon.

/thread

/Peter
                        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                          Perfect description and exactly what I would suggest. I want to say mine was 12.1k or 12.7k, but I don't recall

Comment

You guys have already suggested what I was gonna say...try an A8 in the Demon. It keeps everything about the Demon that you love, but gives it more balls.
                            The pedal booster is also a great option. I have an onboard booster in one of my guitars which works and sounds great, but only for THAT guitar. You can use a pedal for ALL of your guitars (assuming you have more than one).
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              Double thick A8 will beef it up.
                              I've done magnet swaps before but never a "double thick" magnet. can I get a link on where to buy one? Are double thick A8 magnets specificlly sold, or should I use 2 standard sized A8 magnets stacked on top of each other?

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              I was gonna say if you need a Duncan, the Pickup Booster would be excellent...bonus: It works with ALL of your guitars - not just one!
                              Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one off reverb.
                              18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Working...
                              X