Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie Question - PRS SE Custom 24 pickup swap

Originally posted by Downrazor11 View Post
    If the Bridge pickup is on in all 3 switch pos, but the neck is only in the 2 positions it is supposed to be in, that means the problem is isolated to the bridge side of the switch, otherwise both pickups would be on all the time. If it were me, I would disconnect the bridge pickup and check to make sure things are normal with the neck pickup, then I would swap the neck pickup over to the bridge lugs and see if I had neck on in all positions.

It looks like it is wired correctly, perhaps the bridge black wire is somehow contacting the outermost lug? Also, what is connected to the side-facing lug on the switch body (underneath the bridge lugs)?
    It looks like it’s grounded to the switch...which it doesn’t need to be.
    I just rewired a guitar that was like that. I followed the SD diagram which just grounded them to the pot and it worked perfect.
    But I understand that the switch is acceptable as well.

Comment

I'm assuming you mean where the is a clump of solder on the switch body opposite to where the red and bare wires are connected. I've had a look at the photo I took before is removed the original pickups and from what I can see there was a black wire connected from either pickup. I de soldered them to remove the old pickups.
      The photo is on my very first post of this thread. The thick grey wire is the neck pickup and the thick black wire is the bridge pickup.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that's it's grounded on the switch body at the bridge side ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylaar76 View Post
          Am I right in thinking that's it's grounded on the switch body at the bridge side ?
          As long as the switch is ultimately connected to the ground wire that goes to the output jack, yes. As it is now, in your most recent pic, you have the stranded bare wire soldered to the switch via the side-facing lug on the right side, that stranded wire is also soldered to the back of the vol pot in the first pic, so it appears to be. The side-facing lug on the left side isn't connected to anything, correct? (Anything going to ground could go on that left-side lug, but nothing is required to go there as long as the other side goes to ground.)

I would still try to disconnect the bridge and check the neck output in all 3 switch positions, and then swap the pickup connection sides to double-check the switch as the point where the signal is crossing through where it is not supposed to. If you do the swap and it works fine you might be able to unscrew the switch and turn it around (if it fits) so the lever action matches pickup position (down is bridge)..
          Last edited by Downrazor11; 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

The red and bare wire you mentioned have been left there, they were from when the original pickups installed.

Comment

The red and bare wire you mentioned have been left there, they were from when the original pickups installed.
              That is what it looked like from the before and after pics. How many watts is your soldering iron?

I will try to put together some pics of how this should look after it has been soldered a bit later.
              Last edited by Downrazor11; 04-22-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Can you unscrew your switch and take a pic of the front and the back of it, in focus and in decent lighting? I have been assuming we are dealing with a normal import 3-way switch, but when looking up prs docs i see custom switches and super switches used in their "custom" guitars..

Comment

Comment

@1:57
                    @4:24
                    Ok.. Got it!

If your switch is a standard 3-way import switch with a connection pattern like this..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	5813739

Then this wiring should work for you..

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5813740

Name:	IMG_2912.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5813742

Name:	IMG_2913.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	5813743

The two black wires on the selector switch come from the pickups, the white wire is the selector output and it has a braided shield that is connecting the side tab to the ground on the volume pot. The volume pot has the white wire input from the selector with the red wire sending the signal (in parallel) over to the tone pot. The middle white wire is the output to the output jack. The braided shield is run to the back of the pot and then the lug furthest from the selector switch (in this pic at least). One black wire on the back of the pot goes to the tone pot ground, the other goes to the output jack. One more wire may need to be/should be added to the ground wires on the back of the volume, that's the bridge ground wire (not shown).

Please check if your selector switch is a custom switch or not. The best way for one to do this would be to unscrew the switch, then get a small flashlight or LED and shine it across the body (pointing into the switch, against the metal side just under the PCB) and then to take a pic of the illuminated PCB. Otherwise, just take a clear pic of the front and then the back and I may be able to tell from the pics.

Comment

Photos of front and back of switch, I've de soldered the pickup wires from it.

Name:	IMG_20190423_000059.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	5813746

Name:	IMG_20190423_000121.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	5813745
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi, in the first pic of the post above this one (the metal ALPHA side) I believe I can clearly see a solder 'bridge' between the first lug on the left and the second lug on the left, and another between the 7th and 8th lugs from the left, therein lies your problem..

This can be solved by just putting the Neck pickup wire on the 1st and 2nd lug from the left and putting the Bridge pickup wire on the 7th and 8th lug from the left.. I wouldn't trust the solder bridges to hold up by themselves after this much resoldering (and due to the fact that the neck tested normal and not 'always on').

Normally manufacturers join the 2nd and 3rd lugs from the left (aka lugs B2 + B1 on the chart on the first page) for the bridge pickup and then join the 6th and 7th lugs (A3 + A2 on the first page chart) for the neck pickup, that is what all of my pics showed. But this switch shows yet another way to do it, by joining the 1st and 2nd lugs for the neck pickup wire and joining the 7th and 8th lugs for the bridge pickup..

EDIT: I am wrong about the solder bridging, see below..
                        Last edited by Downrazor11; 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Nothing to see here.. No longer a relevant post..
                          Last edited by Downrazor11; 04-22-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Here are all the lugs very close up first photo is the far right looking at the ALPHA side, second is the far left and third is the middle lugs.

Name:	IMG_20190423_012245.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	5813747

Name:	IMG_20190423_012309.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	5813748

Name:	IMG_20190423_012313.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5813749

Comment

Quite the mystery....
                              I’m beginning to think the switch is bad.

Comment

Here are all the lugs very close up first photo is the far right looking at the ALPHA side, second is the far left and third is the middle lugs.
                                Ok, thanks for the additional pics, I am wrong, there is no visible solder bridging. We are back at square one, but you still could try to put the lug pairs on the outer 2 lugs, respectively, it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X