banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intonation, how much movement is required to adjust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation, how much movement is required to adjust?

I've been looking at Brian May's red special (something of an obsession actually) and something I noticed was the roller bridge, it doesn't use a typical screw adjustment style (which I'd class as analog), instead it has a number of grooves set at fixed intervals where a loose roller can be placed and held in place by the strings (which I'd class almost as digital).

I don't know the exact dimensions but it looks like a few millimetres between each space. I'm assuming this is sufficient to intonate properly? (because it's Brian May!)

Is this design adequate? Or do you need the finer adjustments that a screw adjustment would provide to really dial it in?

Re: Intonation, how much movement is required to adjust?

Looks unnecessarily complicated. I’d rather have traditional saddles, but that’ll probably be close enough.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Good enough for Brian May's recorded tracks? I'd say you're good.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The dude built his bridge out of parts from a motorcycle. Sufficient to say, the finer aspects of the design had some issues to them. Unless you want a 1:1 replica, I recommend getting a better design. But if you do want a 1:1 replica, that setup looks to have more than enough room to intonate with a reasonable set of strings. It will be a pain to setup, but if it's worth it to you it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Good enough for Brian May's recorded tracks? I'd say you're good.
          I'd tend to agree but for all I know it's some quirk of how the guitar was built that means that it works, as he did build it himself. Could have intonated before drilling the bridge then used the same gauge strings for the next 50 years!

Comment

Well, of course your intonation is always in steps with that setup, so there will be some possible case for a 'slightly flat or slightly sharp' situation. But as that describes all guitars from its invention through to the last one ever made, its unlikely to be a dealbreaker in any case.
            People have recorded quite happily with wrap tailpieces with zero compensation between strings.......I don't hear many complaining about Leslie West's tuning/intonation issues in his history of using a LP Junior.

If you are making such a clone as to go to that level of accuracy, I'm sure you have the Red Special book. Maybe you could peruse the pages until you get to the pages with pics of closeups of the frets. Looking at what they look like given the fact the guitar has never had any fretwork done in its life.

Every guitar is a bit different. Brian could have made 2 of them as identical as he could, and found that one worked better than the other with everything else supposedly the same.
            Do you plan to make a dead ringer type clone, or just something that has most of the tonal elements that are important. There are a lot of aftermarket roller bridges with fully adjustable saddles available.
            Last edited by AlexR; 04-19-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I would prefer one to function properly first
              And tribute a chosen artist second

Brian would tell you the same
              If he could have done it better, at the time, he would have
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Listening to the latest Chasing Tone podcast (Wampler’s) the guy on the episode (who happens to work for Wampler) played the Red Special. It’s an interesting listen. He was simultaneously taken with both the history (“I can’t believe I’m playing this guitar”) and how poorly it played (“Like a 15 year old built it with his dad”). Kind of funny.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Intonation, how much movement is required to adjust?

I have Gretsches and Gibsons with simple bar bridges and they can be set up to play beautifully in tune. Not absolutely perfect, but you can rock many styles of music, and for any spots on the neck that are slightly out, you apply a little finesse with your fingers to pull things onto pitch. I also have a Hofner where the bridge has 3-4 slots and you move a metal clip onto a row to serve as the saddle. Not perfect but works fine. I think Brian Mays original roller design is plenty sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                  X