Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates neck / APH-2 Slash Bridge

Hi All,

so, I need a new set of pickups and I´m considering PG and Slash.

On the Pearly Gates set, I love the neck but find the bridge a bit too bright in relation to the neck (though I do like it by itself).

On the Slash set, I like the bridge, but not too fond of the neck, I find it too bold.

So I am seriously considering PG Neck + Slash Bridge.

Anyone have experience with this setup? I´d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Fabiano
    Last edited by framos; 04-20-2019, 01:24 PM.

Re: Pearly Gates neck / APH-2 Slash Bridge

i have not tried that set, but i bet it kicks ass

Comment

You can always do a Slash bridge and Alnico II Pro neck. Or a Pearly Gates neck and 59 bridge.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

I'd love to know how this project turns out!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the Custom Shop version of the Pearly Gates, which is unpotted and mine are wound to 7.5 and 8.5 respectively, but I literally just A/B'd them against my buddy's APH-2s he put in his Epi Les Paul last night -- I had to correct Guitar Center's shoddy work when they installed them. They're obviously not the same guitars (mine is a 93 Gibson LP Standard), but close enough to get a feel.

The APH-2 bridge is brash. Very aggressive, but in a really good way. It's not like a hot overwound pickup (JB, Custom, 498t, Distortion, SD, etc.). It's way more of a PAF style in terms of output. But it has a little more hair on the tone than mine does, and I thought the Pearlies were already brash on the bridge. But honestly, I didn't hear a huge difference in the basic tone. Just that mine had a little less snarl than his.

The Pearly neck, to my ears, is very similar to the APH-2. If anything, his was lacking a bit in output by comparison. Going from his bridge to his neck pickup, there was a pretty obvious difference in output. Whereas on my set, both of them have a lot of punch. I could have raised his neck pickup some, but I had them at Gibson's factory recommendation and I figured if he wants to raise or lower them he can.

I too prefer the PG neck to the APH-2, though they are very similar to my ears. At least in my set, the PG has a nicer, rounder tone, but still a lot of high end and very flutey and woody. With added gain, it gets very, very smooth. Without a lot of gain, it just has a nice organic texture to it. I loved the APH-2's tone as well, for a lot of the same reasons. But I'd give the edge to the PG neck.

All of which is to say, if you like the APH-2 bridge and the Pearly neck, you really are in the same tonal ballpark with both sets. Mix and match them to your heart's content.

Comment

I can't speak to the Slash - but lets consider an A2P for overall purposes.

I have played a PG neck and an A2P bridge (as well as a PG bridge and an A2P neck). The set you are considering is a fantastic set for balancing out the tone of a guitar. The A2P is just thick and fat, so you put that in the brightest position the bridge, to thicken it up. You put the cutting PG in the fattest position, the neck, to get through the fat. Together, they both have some A2 magnet similarities when heard together. You get a great balanced guitar that cuts in the neck and isn't to brittle in the bridge.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well, after some time I was finally able to test the combination PG neck + Slash bridge.

Indeed, the combination is a good match eq-wise, making the guitar very balanced, and addressed the issue I mentioned on the OP. I liked it more then PG or Slash sets by itself in this regard.

However, I did not like the combined 'character' of both pickups. Having them on the very same guitar, it´s easy to see that the Slashs have some "crispness" to it, a more modern character then the PGs. It adds versatility, yes, but is not my cup of tea mixing like that.

Bottom line is that ended up installing the PG in both positions,, and have been playing them non-stop for the last 3 hours!

Comment

Working...
                X