P Rails, inner rails in series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P Rails, inner rails in series?

I *love* learning new things, btw. Super cool with that...there is a lot I don't know, so I appreciate y'all filling in gaps.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

isnt it time for the squirrels to do that for ya?

Comment

So now that the is-the-prail-rail-the-same-as-a-hotrail side discussion is concluded, can anyone chime in on the OP's original question: who here runs the 2 rail coils in series and how do they sound? Too bright?
          I myself am preparing to install a set of p-rails in a guitar soon and that combination is one of interest to me.. as well as those 2 in parallel w each other...
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-07-2019, 04:03 AM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Just as an FYI:

P-Rails:
            P-90 n - 7.19k
            Rails n - 5.52k

P-90 b - 10.16k
            Rails b - 8.47k

HotRails n, one coil - 5.45k
            HotRails b, one coil - 8.3k

So it's definitely possible that the P-Rails could use HR n/b coils. But as Alex said, it's ceramic in the HR and A5 in the P-Rails.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

In parallel, they sound really good. I haven't tried them in series, but I imagine they would sound a bit overdriven and muddy. But I'm more into clean tones these days so I might be a bit prejudiced.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Ya know, an HSH axe, with P-Rail/Hotrail/P-Rail, could be a cool experiment. If I ever get around to installing mine I want to do some switch matrix where I can try every combo.
                I’ve got a half baked design for this, along with a super switch and S-1 switch. Life got crazy and I never got around to investigating further since I didn’t get the pickups. If I had time it would be fun...

Basically with S-1 up I was planning on a JEM style (Auto split, combine with split HR) and with it down I was planning on the permutations of the P90 coils and rails.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  If I had time it would be fun...
                  Your time, my inclination. I've got about the same idea. Too many irons in the fire. And the fire's smoldering.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Just as an FYI:

P-Rails:
                    P-90 n - 7.19k
                    Rails n - 5.52k

P-90 b - 10.16k
                    Rails b - 8.47k

HotRails n, one coil - 5.45k
                    HotRails b, one coil - 8.3k

So it's definitely possible that the P-Rails could use HR n/b coils. But as Alex said, it's ceramic in the HR and A5 in the P-Rails.
                    Good post.

It would be nice for S.D. to put this info on the Website.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I agree - they are a touch bright. But there is this thing called a tone knob, and it clears that right up!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

P-Rails in Triple Shots, 2V2T '50s wiring, with pull phase and pickups-in-series/parallel switch. Now what to do with the other 2 possible pull pots... And the Freeway Switch 6-way toggle?

Blower switch(es), maybe? Quick switch to bridge in series (or parallel, could wire it either way)... Maybe a switch from tone to spin-a-split for each pickup?

Like a BC Rich Bich or Mockingbird overflowing with controls, except with every control multi-function so it keeps a classic appearance aside from the pickups...

Then there's magnets. A8 for bridge railside, RCA5 for P-90? Maybe A9 for neck rail, A4 for P-90?
                        Last edited by Despair; 06-10-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

freeway do blades (6& 10 pos)now, So you could do all strat buckers split on one side, and bridge inners both outers neck on the other side and have an s1 that puts the bridge and neck in series out of phase. That might be my ideal wiring if posssible.

I made this post because i tend to find the sound of both rails really cool but very bright so maybe series would help them work with more amps/tones

Comment

Working...
                          X