• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Humbuckers humming

I'm dumber for reading post #14 ...

Comment

Originally posted by ryan00010 View Post
      Try RailHammer Ceramic humbuckers, i tried everything else and finally after much cash spent found these pickups in my situation are the only quiet pickups. Second place was lace sensors at certain angles.

Also, yes most ceramic humbuckers sound like crap and still make noise. RailHammer ceramic humbuckers have somehow found a way to sound great clean and dirty and are 95% quiter than alnico II 57 classics, SD 59 and other ceramic humbuckers/rails, no idea how (wrote them and they said maybe method of wax potting?). I also tried every other trick with shielding, checking wiring/plugs, rewiring guitar, power conditioner, hum x and other money spending ideas that did nothing.

I have used most of these humbuckers and they were quiet in other settings, but my house/wiring produces loud hum with them. This is the only solution i have found, so may be worth a try for you.
      Funny, I thought I was the railhammer freak on the SD forum and I have no idea how they made it into this thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
        Funny, I thought I was the railhammer freak on the SD forum and I have no idea how they made it into this thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
        One day i put an Anvil in the bridge of my guitar just to see what they sound like and it was dead quiet. Then i put a hyper vintage in the neck of another guitar and still heard the hum. I went to their website and saw the magnet difference so I eventually bought 3 other versions of railhammers with ceramic magnets in three different guitars, all three dead quiet. I nearly lost my mind following ideas from these post about grounding etc. for different guitars and trying every pickup I could find. I have no idea why these pickups got rid of the hum. I wrote the company and they said maybe the way they wax pot, but that doesnt explain why it is only the ceramic magnet Railhammers.

I just wanted to pass along the info in case someone else could benefit who is searching these posts for why their humbuckers are humming. I doubt it works in all situations, but in mine it did. I dont really care about the brilliant feedback from the peanut gallery that it doesnt work.

Actually I forgot I made videos for a friend:
        Here is the neck Railhammer Humcuter quiet and bridge SD hotrail humming: https://youtu.be/rDQD3rr1lvw
        Here is a neck Railhammer Chisel quiet and bridge SD 59 humming (this one sounds like making some noise but you have to trust the noise floor, the neck is quiet in the room and you can definitely hear difference): https://youtu.be/yBtIkoUqdOk

Both the SD Hot rail and the 59 are usually relatively quiet pickups in any other setting. I have tried every trick in the book and found this by accident. Both guitars have been rewired by me, by a professional and now have obsidian soldereless wiring, nothing helped until I put these pickups in.
        Last edited by ryan00010; 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

“Maybe the way they wax potting...” gets rid of the hum? So they’ve pioneered shielded polarized wax, have they?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            “Maybe the way they wax potting...” gets rid of the hum? So they’ve pioneered shielded polarized wax, have they?
            Watch the videos, you tell me?
            Last edited by ryan00010; 05-18-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I'd love to know what was defective on the original circuit board. I am surprised if it was defective that they didn't cover it under warranty.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Gibson Humbuckers humming

Originally posted by ryan00010 View Post
                Watch the videos, you tell me?
                Even without watching videos I can confidently say wax potting doesn’t impact 60 cycle hum.

For a start, the railhammers are covered while the Duncan’s are not. That cover is soldered to the baseplate and grounded as a shield.

After that it’s difficult to say what else could be contributing to the noise because there are too many unknowns- what wiring is in there, what signal path you have, and if proximity to any computers or dimmers on the same circuit are having an impact.
                Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-19-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Even a Humbucker isn’t 100% silent. The Railhammers in the videos are definitely quieter than the Duncans, but the Duncan’s aren’t unusable by any means.

Comment

Working...
                  X