Installing SD P90's in Strat question~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SD P90's in Strat question~~

Happy Holiday all~~ I'm putting some SD Vintage 90's in my Strat. I know i have room cuz I've had H'buckers in there previously, but my question is, having never done this before, how does one know EXACTLY where to put those studs that the pups screw into, making certain that the pups go in perfectly level & not on an angle & all cockeyed? I'm to anal about this stuff & i don't want to keep re-digging & correcting! AND, what if i don't have enough wood down there? I'm going to wire the rather simple pickguard myself, but maybe have a tech simply line up the pups for me & be done?! I welcome the challenge, so any tips, tricks, or detailed instructions would be greatly welcomed!
    Thanks in advance & keep rockin'~~
    kenny
    🕉

Re: Installing SD P90's in Strat question~~

If the Duncan's have the same 2 screw through the bobbin attachment as the vintage p90, then it is up to your drilling prowess to ensure they are vertical and not pulling offline.
    I can only assume you have a p90 cut pickguard. Just place the plastic p90 cover upside down in the mounted pickguard and drill directly into wood where the screw holes indicate.
    It is then up to you to mount the right qty of foam underneath so the base is supported.

Comment

Yeah Alex,,,, i meant Vintage power SD P90's...not old 'vintage' ones. Sounds simple enough. What if i don't have enough wood for good height....just use foam & don't mess with any type of wood filler? Thnx

Comment

Yeah, I use the foam the pickups came in for this. It levels the pickup really well.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If the wood on the back of the guitar is not very thick, you can easily glue a piece of wood in the rout to mount the P-90 to. The wood needs to be thick enough so you can adjust the height of the P-90 without the screw going all the way through the back of your guitar.

Measure carefully before drilling. Then measure again, then check your measurements. Then measure again a different way and double and triple check. THEN drill.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Have you measured the pickup rout in your guitar and you're sure the P-90s will fit? P-90s aren't as wide as humbuckers, but they are longer.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The better options is to get a new pickguard. Therefore are tab mounted p90 s too. Maybe the best bet for a strat.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Ya you could get Phat Cats. Same size and mount as covered hums but P90z. They sound a little different than the sd vintage p90z but very good! No mounting hassle.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                X