banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for recommendations-Strong split tones and good metal rhythm? Jack of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for recommendations-Strong split tones and good metal rhythm? Jack of all

iI recently got a couple new Edwards guitars I am loving. I am looking to do some Pup swaps.

In the first one, a Trans black Forest, I want it to be a jack of all trades. Its Northern ash with a 9 piece neck through construction.

My primary goal is to get strong split tones. I am really looking to get a hendrix style strong neck single tone- that cutting bluesy deep sound with tons of overtones- and a bridge pickup that splits well too.

Which pickups are known to split well? I know that some models have mismatched coils, which of those would you recommend, or would that not be necessary?

And In general terms, which pickups would match to the hard ash/ neck through construction? Both of the guitars are the same wood and construction so your suggestions would apply to both really.

As for the standard rhythm tones I like, I like punchy/lively sounds with enough clarity to not mud out, that can manage chord work as well- maybe not quite an Omega but not useless like a nazgul or Jb

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_202115.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	5851271

Name:	20190327_202121.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	5851272

Name:	red1.JPG
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	5851273

Re: Looking for recommendations-Strong split tones and good metal rhythm? Jack of all

The 59/Custom Hybrid has mismatched coils, and really sounds great split. I also like the sound of the Custom Custom split as well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Looking for recommendations-Strong split tones and good metal rhythm? Jack of all

Jack of All Trades sounds exactly like P-Rails, but I don't think you'd find the series mode usable (split modes might appeal, though, P-90 in particular). Maybe not, though, neck-through ash might be bright and tight enough to offset a fatter pickup.

I don't think I'd go for a Custom Custom for metal rhythm. Not saying it can't be done, but there's literally dozens of other pickups I'd try first, barring a guitar that is uncooperative with the usual suspects.

JB is often more than tight enough for metal, in a bright neck-through guitar, for example. But if you want to avoid it, a Black Winter or Custom 8 (or even ceramic, if you want more bite/brighter pickup) might appeal. Or an Alternative 8, maybe?

Sentient is pretty popular for flexible neck pickup that still balances nicely with hotter pickups.

For myself, I'd almost certainly wind up with a PATB-2 Parallel Axis Distortion for a bridge humbucker, if I had that guitar.

Comment

Although the Sentient is a great neck humbucker, especially when one wants less low end on 21-22 fret instruments, it is no where near a Hendrix tone when split. The 59 gets a better Hendrix or SRV tone when split then the Sentient. I've never been super fond of the slug coil from a Custom with an alnico 5 split in the bridge, but it's not terrible. It always seems to me like it's pretty hard to get great single coil tones and then have an awesome series humbucker metal tone from many pickups. I wish I could tell you what pickup to get for that Hendrix tone when split, but the closest I have ever gotten to something like that was with a full size humbucker version Screamin' Demon split in the neck, or an overwound paf with alnico 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
          Jack of All Trades sounds exactly like P-Rails, but I don't think you'd find the series mode usable (split modes might appeal, though, P-90 in particular). Maybe not, though, neck-through ash might be bright and tight enough to offset a fatter pickup.

I don't think I'd go for a Custom Custom for metal rhythm. Not saying it can't be done, but there's literally dozens of other pickups I'd try first, barring a guitar that is uncooperative with the usual suspects.

JB is often more than tight enough for metal, in a bright neck-through guitar, for example. But if you want to avoid it, a Black Winter or Custom 8 (or even ceramic, if you want more bite/brighter pickup) might appeal. Or an Alternative 8, maybe?
          I do have the P-rails in a baritone mahogany guitar, it definitely is on the warm side- I have been comtemplating swapping the magnet out for a ceramic haha. If thats possible? I've not done these things before. But it certainly seems intriguing.

I want to avoid the JB because it cant hang when playing chords distorted. It becomes a howl of mashed noise instead of differentiated notes. Same with the Nazgul.

As for the neck tone, I really don't want the stereotypical 'Metal' sound, I actually hate neck bucker leads through alot of distortion, But love a good neck single. So really, if I can get close to that Hendrixy sound and still get a decent clean tone then I'm set.
          Last edited by ekulggats; 04-22-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post
            Although the Sentient is a great neck humbucker, especially when one wants less low end on 21-22 fret instruments, it is no where near a Hendrix tone when split. The 59 gets a better Hendrix or SRV tone when split then the Sentient. I've never been super fond of the slug coil from a Custom with an alnico 5 split in the bridge, but it's not terrible. It always seems to me like it's pretty hard to get great single coil tones and then have an awesome series humbucker metal tone from many pickups. I wish I could tell you what pickup to get for that Hendrix tone when split, but the closest I have ever gotten to something like that was with a full size humbucker version Screamin' Demon split in the neck, or an overwound paf with alnico 5.
            Lets say I wanted to get the closest possible, What would you go with? I really don't use the Neck bucker much, as long as it can still pull a decent clean and get a hendrixy sound I would be all over it.

As for the bridge pickup, I'm looking for a lively, punchy rhythm tone which can still do chording. I am a huge fan of the 2nd position split sound out of ibanez guitars, so if the bridge bucker can do something like that that's what I'm really looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The 59/Custom Hybrid has mismatched coils, and really sounds great split. I also like the sound of the Custom Custom split as well.
              Dave and I always seem to be in a race to suggest the 59/Custom Hybrid - he beat me this time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

And, for the neck, you might want to check out Railhammer pickups.

Comment

The EVO neck and Tone Zone bridge both split pretty well. You can hear the neck split clean here in a Charvel So Ca with top mounted floyd:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13829202

0 - :35 Neck split
                  :36 - 1:08 Bridge series
                  1:08 - 1:40 Neck + Bridge

I got rid of the pickups because although the split sounds were great, the neck and bridge were too metal sounding / high output for my tastes.
                  Last edited by GuitarStv; 04-22-2019, 07:39 AM.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like the Sentient, Jazz, or 59 for a neck pickup. They are all sort of around the same type of thing.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Alpha and Omega set does split extremely well and is very versatile, but I don't think the Alpha would get you that Hendrix-y tone you're looking for. I would actually maybe suggest going the Bareknuckle route here: I think a ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge and VHII in the neck might suit you very well.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                        Dave and I always seem to be in a race to suggest the 59/Custom Hybrid - he beat me this time!

I'm a big fan of the Hybrid and also of the Alt 8. If you want versatility and clarity with a lot of harmonics the Hybrid is normally a good choice. Saying that the hard ash is a concern as the hybrid might be on the bright side as I have one in my modern player Tele with the pine body and it's pretty zingy in that guitar.
                        If you want some thing bigger that splits well I would say the Alt8 is a good choice in the hard Ash.
                        I have run a Sentient split with both the Hybrid and the Alt8 I think you will like that combo with ether a lot for the tone you are talking about.
                        Here I'm running a Hybrid and the Sentient clean together and split through my little Boogie Subway Rocket.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 04-23-2019, 10:43 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Same guitar just went back to the Alt8 in the bridge for this particular guitar and still have the Sentient neck. Running through my 1991 Carvin X50 B Hot Rod Mod head here.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I find that my sentient and Pegasus set sound pretty good split. But more in a telecaster kind of way.

Comment

I would suggest going active and looking into one the Fishman Fluence sets.
                              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Working...
                              X