Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup advice for a Les Paul Classic please

I'm with Aceman!! Get Covers.

I'm not a Gibson pickup guy. I take them out of every LP I own. To me, you are going backwards in your pickup choices. If you think the Super D and PAF sound awesome, leave them be. Covers will only cost you a slight bit over brightness.

Comment

I put in the 498T/490R set and...
      love 'em!

The neck pickup might not be quite as smooth as the PAF, a bit boomier, but it's nice enough.
      The 498T sounds awesome! Hot as hell but still with enough definition for heavy chords like on, say, The Darkness's debut album, AND it does screaming leads!

Very happy with these, and they do look much nicer in this guitar so I think that's me done. Will probably keep the DiMarzios as spares because they're always handy to have, and sell on the 57 Classics.
      My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
      MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
      Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
        I put in the 498T/490R set and...
        love 'em!

The neck pickup might not be quite as smooth as the PAF, a bit boomier, but it's nice enough.
        Here is the moment magnet swapping comes in. Sounds like you need an A3 in the neck pup.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
          Here is the moment magnet swapping comes in. Sounds like you need an A3 in the neck pup.
          I do have magnets, Blueman sent me some years ago, but I'm not really interested in chasing tone to that extent these days. I hardly use neck pickups anyway. I am quite content with these pups the way they are (for now)! I'll hopefully get a chance to crank the guitar properly in a few weeks and see how they perform then. I could always try the 57 Classic in the neck...

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
          MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.

Comment

Neck repair looks excellent.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I ended up thinking I didn't like the look of the chrome covers on the Gibson pickups I put in. So I took them out and put in aged nickel JB/59. NOW we're talking! But that made me realise I had to get a nickel bridge and tailpiece studs (for some reason, someone had changed the tailpiece for a nickel one already, but not the studs?)
              Cheap Chinese pickguard and bracket sets it all off and NOW I'm done.
              For now.
              20190509_140129 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

20190509_140030 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

20190509_140022 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr
              Last edited by Wolfshead; 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X