Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I ask you guys for a diagram? - DIY kit with push-pull & blend

Hi guys,
    Just recently I aquired one of those DIY LPs, the one with the mini-body, where there's only 2 pot holes & no switch hole (and I'm not gonna make any, cause I'd like to have it the simplest way possible and not work my a$$ that much ). Which is fine, as long as it still has the 24.75" scale, right?
    So, instead of the typical volume and tone, I'd like to have the following:
    * 1 volume blend pot (I already aquired a 500k)
    * 1 push-pull tone pot (the pull acting for series on both pickups, when the blend is in the middle)
    FYI, both Chinese pickups have 2 conductors.
    Can one of you help with a diagram, please?
    I'm really curious if it can be done, especially if that tone pot (acting indeed as a tone) can pull the series mode for both pickups.
    Thank you so much in advance for helping out!
    Last edited by Ktulu; 04-23-2019, 12:01 AM.

Re: Can I ask you guys for a diagram? - DIY kit with push-pull & blend

When you say both pups in series, do you mean that when the two pups are combined, they are in series with each other with the p/p in the "up" position and in parallel when the P/P is in the "down" position?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I was meaning to say that initially, yes.
      But now I'm thinking it would be more convenient the other way.
      I don't know... Are either of those variants doable? If so, then yes, let's do what I said the first time.
      Thanks a million Doc!

Edit: If it helps in any way, I've found something yesterday (attached), but won't try to decipher/combine them, since I'm not really into these things (not an electronics guy anyway), I only know how to follow it and solder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	5813752Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture01.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	5813753Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture02.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	5813754
      Last edited by Ktulu; 04-23-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

the problem I see is that concentric pots don't come in push pull

they would be too long to fit in a cavity
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Doc, thank you in advance

Comment

I actually have never wired 2 humbuckers in series. I have a Strat that has some series combos...but I am thinking humbuckers would cut out even more high end.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well... Seymour Duncan has it. At least in the Jimmy Page style

Comment

I wired that on my RG2 with a superswitch

and triple shot rings

it helps with out of phase because of the volume drop
                but the in phase just sounds a bit muddy
                like a really big overwound pickup
                EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I actually have never wired 2 humbuckers in series.
                  I have. It really doesn't sound that good. Now, one coil of each, in series, is cool. But you can't do that with 2-conductor pups.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  . . . but the in phase just sounds a bit muddy like a really big overwound pickup
                  Ditto.

To the OP, you may want to temporarily just hardwire the two in series and see if you like the sound, before doing any fancy switch installs.

Comment

Agree.

Two humbuckers in series generally sounds too muddy, too middy, no clarity. Powerful...yes, but there is more to making music with guitars than just power.

Comment

It does help the out of phase sou ds stand out though
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        It does help the out of phase sou ds stand out though
                        It "helps" them if you want a more robust sound when oop. But I think the best oop tone is when it is more light/thin sounding. You lose that unique oop tone when you try to beef it up. Now, if you were talking about Strat single coil pups (or even P-90s), then series oop isn't bad sounding at all.

Comment

With an out of phase and my JB split
                          I can get a teleish sound from my RG2
                          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            Two humbuckers in series generally sounds too muddy, too middy, no clarity.
                            Does this mean you already forgot about me, lol?
                            Or that you might wanna propose something else? Be that as it may, I'd like one of those 2 to be the blend.

Comment

One other thing, and forgive me if someone already said this, but two 2-conductor pups in series, causes the "ground" of one pickup to be on the "hot" side of the circuit. You could get some nasty hum/buzz as you touch the pup while playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X