Custom shop Twangbanger RWRP issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop Twangbanger RWRP issue

I have recently installed a custom shop twangbanger bridge into my American Professional Strat that came with V-Mod pickups.

The stock pickups were in-phase and hum-cancelling in positions 2 and 4, and I had been led to believe that in order to preserved that, I should order SD pickups RWRP since SD and Fender are flipped from each other.

However, after installation, position 2 is definitely out of phase (it is hum cancelling though). Is there something different about the V-Mods, should I have not gone for the RWRP twangbanger? Is it possible I just installed it wrong? If I reverse the leads of the bridge to be in-phase, will i lose the hum-cancelling?

Re: Custom shop Twangbanger RWRP issue

do the tops of the middle and bridge pup attract? if so then you can flip the wires on the bridge pup to get them in phase and humcancelling. if they repel, then you wont be able to get in phase and humcancelling

Comment

Its already installed, but when I put some ferrous metal between the bridge and middle, it is attracted to both sides, so I think the answer is yes.

The same attraction happens between middle-neck as well as bridge-neck though, which doesn't seem correct so maybe its not a good test.

Its currently out of phase and hum-cancelling, if I flip the leads is it possible to be both in phase and hum-cancelling? Or do I have to sacrifice one for the other?

Comment

Update: using the old pickup as a test, it turns out that bridge and middle have the same polarity (attracted to old pickup) and the neck is opposite (repelled by old pickup).

So I cant get both in phase and hum cancelling. Do I just need a regular twangbanger then, no custom RWRP?

Comment

You get humcancelling only with repelling magnets. So flipping the wires get them in phase but not humcancelling.
          But if you swap neck and middle, you get both - in phase and humcancelling.
          Last edited by hamerfan; 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

yes, regular twangbanger but flip the wires. i have no experience with those new fender pups but typically duncans have the same magnetic polarity but are wound opposite. it seems that holds true for these new v-mod pups. what do you think of them? different magnet configuration for each position sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              yes, regular twangbanger but flip the wires. i have no experience with those new fender pups but typically duncans have the same magnetic polarity but are wound opposite. it seems that holds true for these new v-mod pups. what do you think of them? different magnet configuration for each position sounds interesting
              I like them a lot, actually. They sound very balanced and sweet in the middle and neck. The bridge wasn't anything to write home about, but strat bridges rarely are. Having a tone control for it helped, but I'm hoping the twangbanger will settle it for good.

Do I need to redo the grounding on the copper plate when flipping the wires on a twangbanger?

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                You get humcancelling only with repelling magnets. So flipping the wires get them in phase but not humcancelling.
                But if you swap neck and middle, you get both - in phase and humcancelling.
                Unfortunately the V-Mods are voiced for each position, A2/3 mix for neck and A2/5 magnets in middle - I like how they sound so I don't want to swap them. RWRP twangbanger sell decently online, I can just get a new one and sell this one.

Comment

you will need to move the baseplate ground on the tb but its easy to do

Comment

Originally posted by SunIsLoco View Post
                    I like them a lot, actually. They sound very balanced and sweet in the middle and neck. The bridge wasn't anything to write home about, but strat bridges rarely are. Having a tone control for it helped, but I'm hoping the twangbanger will settle it for good.

Do I need to redo the grounding on the copper plate when flipping the wires on a twangbanger?
                    You don't move the wires on the pickup. You swap the hot and ground in the guitar at the switch and the pot or wherever you are running the ground. Just reverse the ground and hot leads from where they are now and see if it still hum-bucks once it's in phase. Been a while since i have run into that can't remember how it all comes out.
                    To bad the option of just flipping the neck and middle is not there. I just had t do that with my Strat when i replaced the SSL-5 I had in the bridge with a north leading Texas Hot antiquities. I had to physically move the neck and midle since the mag in the Texas Hot is RP to a normal Duncan ( Alnico II flats in this case).
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

if the middle and bridge are the same magnetic polarity (which they are per his comment above) flipping the wires will get you back in phase but no hum-cancelling. since the twangbanger has a baseplate, if you flip the hot and ground at the switch, you still need to move the baseplate ground wire at the pup or the baseplate will be hot.

Comment

Working...
                      X