banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

I got the Black Winter set recently for my Ibanez RG7421. When I installed them, I screwed them to the very bottom of the pickup holes. However, they still jut out so much that the guitar can’t be restrung properly. My question is this: Should I drill holes at the bottom of the guitar so that the screws at the bottom of the pickups can go through those holes to give the pickups the ability to go lower? Or should I cut the bottom screws of the pickups off to give the pups the room to move down? I’m just worried if I do the latter, it might change the tone of the pickups. If I do the former, it might look awful and affect the resonance of the wood. Your thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated.
    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Re: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

dont drill holes in your guitar. a far as the screws on the pups, id try and find replacement screws rather than cutting the ones you have. someone here can tell you the size you need. it will change the tone slightly but you may like the change

Comment

Usually the pickup height adjustment screws are a bigger problem than the ones in the coil. Also, try figuring out exactly what's bottoming out on the pickup.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Picture please

Usually the legs extend beyond the pole screws

I was thinking new base plate with shorter legs

Or send them to Duncan for nodding
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd like a pic, too- I am having trouble visualizing this.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I'd like a pic, too- I am having trouble visualizing this.
            I think the issue he's having is that the height adjuster screws are bottoming out. Such is the reason why Warmoth does this to their bodies:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190422-154549_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	5813735
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Snip off the excess screw or use shorter ones.
              87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

It's a direct mount rout

Are you trying to mount it with rings (wrong), ysing the supplied screws (wrong), or using the screws that the original pickups came with (correct)?

Hmmm... if you're doing everything correctly and still no good, I'd guess it's because the BW is a Distortion-family bucker with a doublethick magnet, making it SIGNIFICANTLY taller than PAF-likes or whatever the heck the stock buckers are
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Does this illustrate the height difference issue of BW vs. the original pickups?

Name:	2019-04-22 13.08.18.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	5813736

If so, you cant install that humbucker in that direct mount rout. If it's just shallow but the body is thick enough, it MIGHT be possible to make it deep enough... but not necessarily and not without risk of messing it up.

Comment

Oh cool, I get it. To me, this isn't a DIY thing if shorter screws won't work. It would be super easy to go right through the body.

Comment

Mincer
                      Duncan will mod those once wont they?

I mean it's part of the "swap if you dont like" policy ain't it?
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think they have in the past. You can always send over an email, or call.
                        M-F 8:00-5:00 PST
                        Tech Support Hotline:
                        805-716-6747
                        General Info:
                        805-964.9610

Comment

Name:	DBB888A4-A95A-4FC8-B8F4-EDC4710FC751.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	5813755
                          Exhibit A of what I mean. You can see here that the neck pickup at the lowest setting I possibly can get it to currently is as tall as the frets on the neck.

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5813756
                          Exhibit B. The routed hole is too small for the pickups I have.

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5813757
                          Exhibit C. These are the back screws I'm talking about.

I appreciate all your help so far, guys. Hopefully, these pictures will help you get me to a more well defined answer. I doubt SD will mod them now since I've had the pickups for a solid 5 months in another guitar. I probably don't want it modded anyway since it will affect the tone. I really like the tone I got from them in the other guitar. I'm just putting them in this guitar because this one has a hardtail bridge, while the original guitar had a floyd rose. Thankfully, the soldering isn't an issue, as I got that done myself in the span of 30 minutes.

Adieu, that certainly helps to illustrate my point. Thank you. I'm not using mounting rings, I'm just trying to get it in the direct mount using the screws that came with the pickups.
                          Chistopher, the guitar in question has that too, as you'll hopefully see in Exhibit B. That's why I believe the back screws are the culprit, as they are almost as tall as the mounting legs (or whatever you call those side parts that you screw in to adjust the pickup height).
                          Last edited by Gutwrencher; 04-23-2019, 03:33 AM.
                          “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Comment

Yeah you can probably hacksaw them...or replace them with shorter screws

Comment

I cut the coil screws all the time, its a standard mod to a JB for me. I will say this using like bolt cutters leaves nasty edges. I either use a bench grinder or I use a cut off wheel in a dremel so there are less problems. It will change the pickup response a bit but not the tone so much.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X