banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

They're screws

For starters, BACK THEM OUT to almost-flush and see if it actually sits low enough to work for your guitar...

If and only if it does, either get some replacements in the right length (make sure to get a material that works with magnetism!) or cut them down
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I agree with Adieu, make sure it will work before cutting anything, but the big magnets may still make the pickup sit too high with the current mounting tabs.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty high. Is the baseplate bottoming out?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It looks like the polepiece screws may be hitting before the baseplate tabs hit the wood in the recessed pockets, but since those do have bigger magnets, I would still test as Adieu mentioned by backing out the polepiece screws and making sure the pickup will mount low enough it those are cut.

Comment

looking at the pic, i think if you replace (or cut) the screws flush with the baseplate, you will be ok

Comment

How do I go about replacing the screws? Are they the same screws that you can see the head of at the top of the pickup? Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m still new to some of these concepts. If I change to shorter screws, will it still change the response of the pups if the replacements are the same metal/material? I’m thinking I might go with the hacksaw idea if there’s really no way to keep the exact same tone/response of the pickups while solving my problem.
              “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Comment

Again I would suggest calling the number MINCER provided above.
                Let the manufacturer replace the screws
                So you don't violate your warranty
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

changing the length of the screws will change the tone a bit but you may like it, especially in the neck.

the six screw heads you see on the top of the pup are the same screws that poke through the bottom

Comment

I did as Adieu said and made sure they fit by unscrewing the screws and putting the pups in the cavity. Looks like I have no choice but to cut the screws. I emailed tech support in hopes they’d give me a better option, but I doubt they’ll have one, and I’m pretty sure I’m already beyond the pale in terms of the warranty. Thanks for all the help, guys! I hope I can get this much help when it comes time to mod my Micro Dark, ha ha.
                    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Comment

Well, let us know how this turns out. I'd still call about maybe some replacement screws.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Well, let us know how this turns out. I'd still call about maybe some replacement screws.
                        Yeah I wouldn't do anything until I heard back from tech support
                        They could at least give you the size screws you'd need when you went to the hardware store
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Gutwrencher View Post
                          How do I go about replacing the screws? Are they the same screws that you can see the head of at the top of the pickup? Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m still new to some of these concepts. If I change to shorter screws, will it still change the response of the pups if the replacements are the same metal/material? I’m thinking I might go with the hacksaw idea if there’s really no way to keep the exact same tone/response of the pickups while solving my problem.

Sure you have another option you can just as easily use a drill press and drill holes for the screws to fit into in the body. Easy enough to mark off the bit making sure you dont drill thorugh the body. This will have minimal to zero impact on tone.

Cutting the screws is a minor change on tone it has a larger effect on pick response. It will tighten it up.

If you need replacement screws you can get them here https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...epieces-Nickel

dont go to your hardware store the alloy they use doesnt sound good. If you want to dive down the rabbit hole different screw alloys do change the tone but very subtly.

If it was me I would be inclined to drill the holes in the body. That way if you ever swap pickups you can without having to mod the pick ups again.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            Yeah I wouldn't do anything until I heard back from tech support
                            They could at least give you the size screws you'd need when you went to the hardware store
                            Does really no one around this forum remember that the pole piece screws are 5/40 fillister screws? Last i checked SD didnt sell parts. But its been a couple of years since i asked them to do so, maybe they have changed.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                              Does really no one around this forum remember that the pole piece screws are 5/40 fillister screws? Last i checked SD didnt sell parts.
                              Oh, Oh, I did, I did!

Same for DiMarzios. I was just about to post that they are 5-40 screws, but I didn't want to get into a metallurgical discussion. FWIW, he will probably want 5/8" or 1/2" screws, and since it is a BW, in black.

Comment

i dont think id drill the body. id replace the screws so you have the stock ones in case you sell the pup. youll also be able to use the screws on a different pup if you end up swapping at some point down the road

Comment

Working...
                                X