SD P90 in a H'bucker body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD P90 in a H'bucker body?

Which SD p/u is the same as their Vintage P90 but with Hbucker style mounting? And, what SC p/u would go good & match well in the middle position? And black...not chrome.
    Thanx all~
    Last edited by moto; 04-22-2019, 08:32 PM.

Re: SD P90 in a H'bucker body?

There's no hum size p90 that's the same as the vintage p90. You'd have to go custom shop for that. There's only the Phat Cat which sounds great but is a bit scooped and doesn't have the same grit as the vintage p90.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah, I would think the Custom Shop can build an exact replica, but no production model matches. For the middle, look at the Stack Plus.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nothing is the same, exactly.

The P Rails Neck has the closest sounding P90 in humbucker shape that I've ever played. I have played many, searching for THAT tone. The P Rails P90 coil is better than the Phat Cat, for sure. Part of this might be because the coil is narrower than a Phat Cat (closer to a real P90 coil). Part of it might be because the coil ends up closer to the original P90 position in relation to the bridge, as opposed to being slightly farther toward the neck in the bridge pickup, and slightly farther from the neck in the neck position, like it is with Phat Cats and other similar pickups. Honestly, I don't know exactly why it sounds the closest. But I do know it's the closest I've ever heard. You don't have to use the rail in any form; the P90 coil itself is good enough to warrant installing the pickup.

Second closest IME is, oddly, the DiMarzio Bluesbucker.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

im pretty sure the p90 in the prails is actually a vintage p90

Comment

The P- in the P-Rails sounds just like a P90 to me. But there are enough variations in actual P90s that as long as the coil size is really close, it is bound to sound like one.

Comment

^^^&^^^ +10 to Jeremy and Mincer...took their advice and put a P-Rail in neck of G&L...sounds as good as any p90 have played.

Comment

Originally posted by moto View Post
                And, what SC p/u would go good & match well in the middle position? And black...not chrome.
                Thanx all~
                If you want a true single coil that also sounds pretty similar to a P90, a Quarter Pound is a great match.

Comment

honestly, i dont really think thats true. i like the qp for strat and tele bridge but dont think it sounds or feels all that p90 like

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    im pretty sure the p90 in the prails is actually a vintage p90
                    SD did a great job of making it sound like one, despite the fact that the coil is not as long as an "actual" one.

And on top of it, you get all the other capabilities of the P Rails. They are Duncan's best innovation of their history, IMO.

They are ugly...but they clean up really nicely with trim rings. I added the rings and converted these to gold trim:

Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I wonder if there will be further development in P-Rails type pickups. It seems like a winner for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I wonder if there will be further development in P-Rails type pickups. It seems like a winner for them.
                        Speaking of P-Rails...
                        Last edited by Aceman; 04-24-2019, 04:56 PM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                        X