P-Bass serial numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Bass serial numbers.

Should the body serial# match the neck serial#? My neck is M11xxxxxx, while the body is M02xxxxxx. That equates to a 2011 MIM neck with a 2002 MIM body. Seems odd that a body would lay round for nine years before being used. This is on a new (from the dealer) NOS Fender P-Bass.

Part of the reason I'm asking, is because there's a couple other things about this that make me wonder if the body was swapped. Probably not likely, but just wondering.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM.

Re: P-Bass serial numbers.

Body serial number???
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the significance of the body sticker. It has the same form as the serial #, so I thought it might be the body serial.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-Bass-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	5813784

Name:	P-Bass-02.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	5813785

Name:	P-Bass-03.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5813786

It is kinda cool that it has the "60 Years" neck plate, so I know it's a 2011 bass.

Comment

I would think the sticker in the body is some sort of code that represents that specific model/color, and/or other manufacturing details (like automobile VINs will tell you year, model, trim level, color, options, etc.). I have not heard of body serial numbers on stickers in Fenders. It's either on a neck plate, or a bridge plate (with old '50s Teles and some reissue Teles), in which there is no serial on the neck – or it is on the neck, in which case there is no serial on the body.

I'd say that based on the serial number and the neck plate, you've got an all original 2011 bass.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

P.S. Maybe it's also some sort of manufacturing code, like an internal code for a CNC profile that was first programmed in 2002, but still got used in 2011. That way the wrong bodies don't get used for models. Or maybe it's just the internal part number for a Standard P body.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

You're probably right. It was kinda cool how I got this. My friend, (who owns a music store), found this in a back room storage. They aren't sure how long its been there, but they know it didn't work. They gave it to me to check out and one coil of the pups was open. They've had it too long to return to Fender, so he let me buy it for $300. It's basically, a brand new NOS 2011 MIM Fender P-Bass. If I drop a Quarter Pound in there, I'll have a pretty nice Fender, with Duncan, for under 4 bills. Not bad.

I'll post a full review once I get the pups in.

It's basically this bass:

Name:	Player_Bass.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	5813787

(Mine is rosewood. Not maple.)
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-25-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a nice bass.

Does the neck heel have a bar code sticker as well?
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

If you mean, in the neck joint, I haven't removed the neck yet. I'll do that when I get the new pups. I'm thinking Quarter Pounds would be sweet in this. Coincidentally, the latest Duncan blog has an interview with bassist Eva Gardner. Her bass of choice is a P-Bass with QP's. If it's good enough for her, it's fine with me.

Comment

My #1 is (or was for a long time, until I got a new bass last year) a P with 1/4 Lbs.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Yeah don't worry about the sticker, it doesn't get used for dating. The ol' MX11 tells us its a Mexican Bass made in 2011.
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks guys. Just ordered the QP's. Can't wait for them to get here to try with my EH Battalion.

Btw, my P-bass is rosewood. Not maple. It's seems hard to find the exact pic. Here it is. (With my embarrassingly messy bench, in the background.)

Name:	My_P-Bass_sm.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5813791

Comment

looks good man. itll sound great with the qp in there

Comment

They're in. It does.

Comment

nice! love the growly tone the qp can get when you lay into it

Comment

Nice. That's a deal I certainly would not pass on. Good friend. The QP's are sweet PBass pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X