banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $20 Sixties Tube Amp Lives! (Clip inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $20 Sixties Tube Amp Lives! (Clip inside)

So, that tube amp I found for $20 in a record store LIVES! I salvaged a 5U4 out of an old Hammond organ that a friend is going to give me, and I also replaced the power cord and gave it a speaker jack. This thing rips! Sounds more Marshall like than the Fender circuit it's trying to emulate. The tube driven tremolo however doesn't work. :/ It uses 12AX7s for the preamp, 6L6s for power.. dunno what the tremolo tube is.
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
    Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
    Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Re: The $20 Sixties Tube Amp Lives! (Clip inside)

Man...not to be negative, but I was excited about this amp and hoping for a much better tone. That sounds like generic butt-rock '80s/'90s-solid-state-amp-with-too-much-gain tone. It's so synthetic sounding. What have you got the guitar going through before the amp?
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-27-2019, 03:22 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      Man...not to be negative, but I was excited about this amp and hoping for a much better tone. That sounds like generic butt-rock '80s/'90s-solid-state-amp-with-too-much-gain tone. It's so synthetic sounding. What have you got the guitar going through before the amp?
      I have a tube driven distortion pedal with a boost going in front, as this amp is way too clean at high volumes. I should have used my 57 to mic it up, but I can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Gear
      Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
      Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
      Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.

Comment

The amp is sounding better here!
        Gear

Comment

It does indeed sound better...but I'm still hearing nothing but your effects, really.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

It does indeed sound better...but I'm still hearing nothing but your effects, really.
            Well, the amp is a way too clean kind of amp, so I need to push it using pedals I’m afraid.

Gear

Comment

Don't sweat it. Some of us like amps that sound like 80's/90's ss amps with too much gain.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

For all the tube guys, here's another clip.
                Gear

Comment

I actually kinda liked the first clip.

What does it sound like if you just use a clean boost in front of it?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I actually kinda liked the first clip.

What does it sound like if you just use a clean boost in front of it?
                    Not too gainy, as my clean boost pedal kind of sucks. I wish I had something like a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster or something pushy like the Schaffer Replica.
                    Gear

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarFanatic View Post
                      Not too gainy, as my clean boost pedal kind of sucks. I wish I had something like a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster or something pushy like the Schaffer Replica.
                      You've got the master volume on the amp dimed?
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        You've got the master volume on the amp dimed?
                        Yep.

Gear

Comment

It's all so massaged sounding. Need ta pipe straight into that ****er and just turn it up and hit hard. I'd love to hear that.

What Fender circuit is it?
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

It's all so massaged sounding. Need ta pipe straight into that ****er and just turn it up and hit hard. I'd love to hear that.

What Fender circuit is it?
                            It sounds like it is a Tweed Deluxe clone. Same control layout, but with tremolo (which doesn't work at all FYI)
                            Gear

Comment

i dont think its a tweed deluxe clone. the tweed deluxe has two channels, each with a volume control, a shared tone control, two 6v6, and one 5y3. older models have two octal preamp tubes, the 5d3/5e3 have two 12ax7. quite different than what you have there. and a tweed deluxe has a good amount of dirt turned up.

take a good shot of the inside and maybe we can figure out what ya have going on

Comment

Working...
                              X