• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrote a new tune

It's been a while:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13869373

Open to constructive criticism.

:P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Wrote a new tune

Well, that was really enjoyable! Nice tones and a really nice progression; has a nice Mixolydian I-V vibe going on.
    Is this the finished product or will you be developing it further?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      Well, that was really enjoyable! Nice tones and a really nice progression; has a nice Mixolydian I-V vibe going on.
      Is this the finished product or will you be developing it further?

I had written parts for it and was trying to work out how everything was going to sound together. Listening back at it the bass is a little off the beat on a couple spots (and kinda clashes with the guitar at one part in the middle), it was my first time using hydrogen to do drum tracks so they sound a little uneven (also they seem to be mixed in a bit too high), and I cocked up both solos a few times . . . if it doesn't get redone at some point it'll eat away at me. :P

Interesting you say that it sounded Mixolydian . . . I was writing it thinking about A minor (and if you listen carefully the chorus, the verse, and the bridge progressions all end on an A minor chord), and was grabbing chords from the Am aeolian mode but it didn't sound strongly minor when it came together.

It was also the first time I tried recording to really capture the sound of my amp/effects in my room. Usually I do just a close mic'd clean or dirty track and then add effects/delay/verb after the fact. Which lead to some weird discoveries to me. Apparently I like the recorded sound of my gain pedals through the clean channel much better than the dirty channel of the amp (or the dirty channel with the same pedals on) . . . but I like the dirty channel more for the quieter/mostly clean parts. It's also a much bigger pain in the ass to record this way, because if you decide later that you don't want as much delay in a section, or want more phaser in another section. . . you're stuck with it. :P
      Last edited by GuitarStv; 04-29-2019, 07:35 AM.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Drum writing tip request . . . after recording everything I kinda feel like I should be more closely matching what the bass does with the drums. That and I shouldn't completely drop out the drums during the quiet parts, but rather reduce volume/velocity of the hits and simplify the patterns. Does that sound like a better approach to take? How do you guys write your drums?

Comment

In the intro and quiet parts, I like how the bass plays a busy line. It intertwines nicely with the guitar part.
          Just a suggestion, but I’d like the bass to be less twangy and trebly and more round and deep sounding....that’s just me though, if you like it as is then go for it.
          I also liked how the drums entered the first time sort of abruptly. I wasn’t expecting it so it caught my ear.
          Maybe don’t do that every time as it can lose what made it special. But by all means, each time the quiet parts come up, try to do something different with the drums. Try an all Tom-Tom beat in a more laid back fashion. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            In the intro and quiet parts, I like how the bass plays a busy line. It intertwines nicely with the guitar part.
            Just a suggestion, but I’d like the bass to be less twangy and trebly and more round and deep sounding....that’s just me though, if you like it as is then go for it.
            I also liked how the drums entered the first time sort of abruptly. I wasn’t expecting it so it caught my ear.
            Maybe don’t do that every time as it can lose what made it special. But by all means, each time the quiet parts come up, try to do something different with the drums. Try an all Tom-Tom beat in a more laid back fashion. Etc.
            Thanks!

Yeah, the bass is too bright. It's an all maple J-bass with a maple neck, and has that tendency. I should have rolled the bridge back a lot more than I did. :P

Comment

I bought one of these a while back and it’s what I use direct to the interface.
              For the price it sounds really good.
              Plastic case and kinda cheaply built but for $30....can’t go wrong.

Comment

I just realized that I've my bass amp has some sort of DI built in that I've never tried. Should probably give that a whirl next time.

Comment

Did you ever do anything with that chord progression you had come up with that we were talking about roughly a month ago or so?
                  I thought that was a really cool progression.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Drum writing tip request . . . after recording everything I kinda feel like I should be more closely matching what the bass does with the drums. That and I shouldn't completely drop out the drums during the quiet parts, but rather reduce volume/velocity of the hits and simplify the patterns. Does that sound like a better approach to take? How do you guys write your drums?
                    That's entirely up to you. Where you place drum sounds can reinforce the pulse or pull away from it into syncopation. It's entirely up to you.

Comment

It's also a much bigger pain in the ass to record this way, because if you decide later that you don't want as much delay in a section, or want more phaser in another section. . . you're stuck with it. :P
                      Record dry rig, but put all your guitar FX (via plugins) in the DAW... and set track to monitor (so you can hear your dry guitar *with* all the FX "candy" while playing+recording).

The end result is of course a bone-dry guitar track that you can fiddle with (delay, phase, EQ, Eventide, etc ad infinitum) until it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        Record dry rig, but put all your guitar FX (via plugins) in the DAW... and set track to monitor (so you can hear your dry guitar *with* all the FX "candy" while playing+recording).

The end result is of course a bone-dry guitar track that you can fiddle with (delay, phase, EQ, Eventide, etc ad infinitum) until it's perfect.

This sounds like a good approach, but I really like the sound of my pedals (which is why I own them). I guess you could re-amp the recorded track afterwards to tweak the pedals/amp settings?

Comment

This sounds like a good approach, but I really like the sound of my pedals (which is why I own them). I guess you could re-amp the recorded track afterwards to tweak the pedals/amp settings?
                          I'm with you. I like to commit to a sound, get it right at the source, and then pull the ripcord! Destructive editing FTW lol!

I sat in on a master class with Jack Jospeh Puig last year and he said, "Never use 'Save As' ". That really stuck with me and I've been doing it that way ever since.
                          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Did you ever do anything with that chord progression you had come up with that we were talking about roughly a month ago or so?
                            I thought that was a really cool progression.
                            Missed this comment, sorry!

Yes, I've written two solos (one very pentatonic based with some outside note targeting, one very outside sounding) for it and am in the process of fleshing out the whole song now. I'm trying to work in a separate rhythm bit that may or may not fit in the end and will need a couple weeks to finish with the drums and bass parts and record it. I need to get this song finished in a way that I'm happy with first too.

Re-recorded the bass tonight for this song using my bass amp's DI, and less bridge pickup and it's sounding better already. Hopefully I'll get a chance to re-do all the guitar tracks this weekend after playing with mic placement some more.
                            Last edited by GuitarStv; 05-03-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Missed this comment, sorry!

Yes, I've written two solos (one very pentatonic based with some outside note targeting, one very outside sounding) for it and am in the process of fleshing out the whole song now. I'm trying to work in a separate rhythm bit that may or may not fit in the end and will need a couple weeks to finish with the drums and bass parts and record it. I need to get this song finished in a way that I'm happy with first too.

Re-recorded the bass tonight for this song using my bass amp's DI, and less bridge pickup and it's sounding better already. Hopefully I'll get a chance to re-do all the guitar tracks this weekend after playing with mic placement some more.
                              Cool! I’d love to give it a listen when you get it all fleshed out.

As far as the bass for the song you’re currently working on...what seems to work pretty well for me is to record the part(s) then copy and paste a second track and split them hard right/left in your DAW. Kind of like what you would do to thicken up a guitar track. It really seems to make the bass sound thick.
                              I’m not a big Smashing Pumpkins fan but I was always amazed at how huge the bass sounded. That was my attempt to make my own bass parts sound bigger.
                              And of course eq to taste to make it pop.

Comment

Working...
                              X