Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wrote a new tune

Re-recorded all the guitars today.

I tried putting an SM81 about three feet away from the amp and a Beta 57 an inch from the cab, about two inches to the right of the speaker cone. Panned the 81 hard left and the 57 hard right, and really liked the sound. What I play back it's very close to the amp in the room when you're standing in front of it. Then re-tracked the guitar parts with a little less gain and a lot more volume (wife and kid were out of the house this morning) than the first time, which also seemed to work well.

Here's a (hopefully final) mixdown: http://sclk.co/r/s89c2h No effects or processing added after recording this time. That's the drum machine sounds, the new bass with amp DI, and the guitar in the room with no EQ/reverb/effects/compression added to the individual tracks. I just leveled them so they sounded mostly in balance with each other, did a mix down, and tossed on a touch of 2:1 compression on the whole thing. Thanks a lot for all the comments! I think it sounds better now (although you're free to tell me that I've ruined everything . . . and in a couple hours when the high of finishing a recording fades I'm sure that the mistakes will start to jump out at me). :P

For those who care:

Rhythm
    SSL-1 neck -> small stone phaser (univibe mod) with the knob at about 3 -> Traynor YCV40WRs dirty channel volume up, gain pretty low with an SD Deja Vu Delay set to dotted eighths in the effects loop.

Solo 1
    SSL-1 mid -> BD-2 -> Traynor YCV40WRs clean channel with Deja Vu in the loop (knocked back the level a bit from the Rhythm setting)

Solo 2
    SSL-5 bridge -> BD-2 -> Traynor YCV40WRs clean channel with Deja Vu in the loop (knocked back the level a bit from the Rhythm setting)

All using my trusty Charvel So Cal.
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 05-04-2019, 03:49 PM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

As an aside, recording gainy stuff with single coils is a crazy exercise in carefully holding the angle of your guitar in the ONE way in the room that keeps hum to reasonable levels.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Much improved.
        I still feel like the drums are too loud. They drown out the rhythm/bass a bit too much.

The clean guitar with the phaser/delay sounds amazing....I want to hear that louder in the mix so that it’s not lost when all of the instrumentation enters.

All that said, I just listened through my phone...tomorrow when I have a little time I’ll listen through my studio monitors and report back.
        Love the groove though....I want to take a solo over this. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Much improved.
          I still feel like the drums are too loud. They drown out the rhythm/bass a bit too much.

The clean guitar with the phaser/delay sounds amazing....I want to hear that louder in the mix so that it’s not lost when all of the instrumentation enters.

All that said, I just listened through my phone...tomorrow when I have a little time I’ll listen through my studio monitors and report back.
          Love the groove though....I want to take a solo over this. Lol
          No problem, I tracked the rhythm separate from the leads:

Soul - No lead, drums -3 Db: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13872492

First break is Em-Dm-C-Am, second break is over F-G-C-Am, F-G-Am-Am and ends up doing a bunch of C-Am at the end.

Comment

Working...
          X