banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Really? Hmmm. Weird.

Comment

I've never had slipping issues on normal tuners with 9s, but there is a few locking sets that had the small E slipping. I think it had more to do with the tuner than the string, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really think the old school Fender style where the string goes down into the post is the best design. I’m still using the Sperzels because they’re significantly lighter, but I like the stock Warwick tuners more.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          I really think the old school Fender style where the string goes down into the post is the best design.
          All my old school USA Peavey's have those. I love that design. No string end sticking out to put your eye out.

Comment

If your bridge doesn't require pulling the string through a hole, those tuners allow string swaps without damaging the wraps, too.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

This will be interesting... I just started playing bass in a band (the guitarist is the bass player in my main band and the drummer plays in both).

He tunes his guitar down to drop C#. Their last bass player tuned a 4 string Jazz bass down to C#. I have a 5 string, so obviously I don’t need to tune my bass down. But the way the songs are written they use a lot of the open C# bottom string, and I have a low B. Made playing the riffs awkward.

So I tuned my bass UP a step (C#-F#-B-E-A). That works great, but my 40-120 set of strings are really stiff now! And I had to tighten the truss rod quite a bit.

So I’m going to try a D’Addario EXL180 “Extra Super alight” set for the top 4 strings - 35-95, and put like a .110 or .105 on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a bass newbie, but I do like 40 - 105's. I also just put some EB Slinky 9's on my Peavey Patriot. I'm not warming up to them right now. This may not be the right axe for these. The "rail" Super Ferrittes single coils are bright. I'll give 'em more time.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  This will be interesting... I just started playing bass in a band (the guitarist is the bass player in my main band and the drummer plays in both).

He tunes his guitar down to drop C#. Their last bass player tuned a 4 string Jazz bass down to C#. I have a 5 string, so obviously I don’t need to tune my bass down. But the way the songs are written they use a lot of the open C# bottom string, and I have a low B. Made playing the riffs awkward.

So I tuned my bass UP a step (C#-F#-B-E-A). That works great, but my 40-120 set of strings are really stiff now! And I had to tighten the truss rod quite a bit.

So I’m going to try a D’Addario EXL180 “Extra Super alight” set for the top 4 strings - 35-95, and put like a .110 or .105 on the bottom.
                  Up-tuned 5-string basses rock. No pun intended. Especially when it is harder rock styles and you really go at the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    Up-tuned 5-string basses rock. No pun intended. Especially when it is harder rock styles and you really go at the strings.
                    Yes, this is a heavy grunge alternative power trio.

The one thing that was odd was most of my playing was on the low C# string. Like you would on the E on a four string bass.

How I think I’m going to fix my ‘73 Rick up and string it up with the four bottom strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's some more data.

Comment

Working...
                      X