banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

I keep seeing references to SIT Foundations. Never heard of 'em. One more thing for me to check out. Thanks.

Comment

I’ve used SIT strings for a long time. Love them on guitar and bass. SIT started off modifying other strings (something with the twist at the bottom) to make them Stay In Tune better, then they started making their own.

The Foundations are one of their newer offerings. They are very easy on the fingers, and have tons of growl to the tone. They’re also on the cheaper end for a premium string ($20). The best part is the balls are red and it looks sweet.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Somewhere I read, (maybe over at TalkBass), that as a general rule, you want light roundwounds on a J-bass, and heavier flatwounds on a P-bass. Unfortunately, mine are the exact opposite. The P-bass, with fresh DR Pure Blues, and the new Quarter Pounds, is much snappier and lively, than my J-bass with old DR's, and an active preamp. Can't remember which DR's, but they're flatwound. The passive P is much louder than the active J. The J is passive pups, but with an active preamp.

Edit: It was PFDarkside in post #14, and he didn't say it was a "general rule." That was my old memory.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-28-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Flats on a P is definitely a classic sound. I tried flats for a minute, and decided they're totally not for me.

Also, flats are generally higher tension than rounds. The set I tried was D'Addario Chromes 45-100. They felt significantly tighter than the 45-105 rounds I usually use.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

We have two "bass string" threads going. I just asked you a question over at the other one.

P.S. I really like the DR rounds on my P. Especially with the QP's. I'm going to keep 'em for awhile.

Comment

That's a nice setup, ArtieToo. What about the Fender Badass clone don't you like. I've been looking at this bridge for a while and thinking about getting one. Is that a mistake?
              "In the hair metal days, I didn't want to learn how to play guitar for the girls. I wanted to make noise and make people mad."

-James Hetfield

Comment

Originally posted by toneking77 View Post
                That's a nice setup, ArtieToo. What about the Fender Badass clone don't you like. I've been looking at this bridge for a while and thinking about getting one. Is that a mistake?
                I covered this in post #28, but it's late, and I can't sleep. So I don't mind going over it again.

The Fender was actually sweet. (And, it was nice that it said "Fender" on it on a Fender bass.) But it hung out the rear farther than the stock bridge did, and it exposed the string "balls." I just didn't like how that looked. The Hipshot had recesses for the string balls, and a couple other features that I discussed in post #28. It's a great bridge, and coincidentally . . . mine is for sale in the Trading Post. I don't want to pursue that here because it's not the right place for it.

Here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...Saddles-Chrome
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-29-2020, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Ok, so I just took the plunge! I put a set of D’Addario NYXL strings gauged .008-.038.

I had to do some adjustments on the guitar, like loosen the trem springs. I also lowered the action a bit on the treble side.

So here’s my reaction; I’ve never used 8s, except on my Vox 12-string. So that doesn’t count.

The first couple of seconds had me over bending and stuff. But then I just adjusted my playing. I pick fairly hard with a 1.12mm purple tortex pick.

Once I got the guitar setup they don’t feel as low tension as I would have expected. Part of that is the NYXL strings. They have a different feel.

I really like the way these feel. Bending requires a lot less force, so your fingers don’t have to be as stiff. I also like the snap I get on the bass strings playing chords.

They don’t sound thin. Pretty much the same as the 9-46 set I had on.

Regarding bass strings. On a 4 string I like 40-100. I play a 5, so I have a .120 under that. I get a nice full tone from those, and the low strings aren’t as clunky sounding. I do often use .045 to .125 or that ever it is if I can’t find a lighter set.

I’ve been playing bass and guitar since I was about 12 or 13. Thats 50 years ago.
                  What I find after all that time playing is my joints prefer the lighter strings. Also on bass I tend to squeeze my left hand too hard and my finger tips go numb. So the lighter strings prevent that. I was starting to get cramps in my hands. Like writer’s cramp. That’s focal dystonia. Keyboard great Keith Emerson had that. His was so bad he committed suicide. Victor Wooten has it too. Also Scott Devine, of Scott’s Bass Lessons. There’s also lots of RSI things that happen when you’ve been moving your fingers the same way for decades. And as you get older your joints wear out.

So I think it’s never a good idea to have to fight your guitar or bass. It’s not a competition. You don’t see classical musicians with that attitude. It’s more a macho rock thing.

But it’s bad for your joint health.

So I’ve come to realize that you shouldn’t have to exert effort to play. Playing is hard enough. It would be like running a race while you had weights on your feet.

So I don’t want much of any resistance from the strings. I just want to feel them under my finger. Like if you were playing an unweighted keyboard.

And my hands don’t hurt the next day after a gig. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was surprised when seeing this video that Slash uses an 11-46 set.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                      I put a set of D’Addario NYXL strings gauged .008-.038.
                      The smallest I've tried, so far, is 9's. One of the issues I've had with those, is getting the small E string to "catch" on the tuner. Even with Kluson style, the string wants to pull through the slot. It could be motivation to try some locking tuners. I've got a nice set of Schallers here that I've had forever. I suppose I should pick a guitar and install them.

Comment

Slash is tuned down 1/2 step.

David- You’d laugh at how my basses are setup after all the arguing about heavy strings and higher action. Using 45-100 or 105 strings, usually lower tension sets like Dunlop Super Bright or SIT Foundations, I’ve got the action on my fretless at a little over 1.14mm on the G, and a little under 2mm on the E. It’s virtually effortless to play and sounds amazing. My fretted basses are just enough higher that everything isn’t a buzzy mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          The smallest I've tried, so far, is 9's. One of the issues I've had with those, is getting the small E string to "catch" on the tuner. Even with Kluson style, the string wants to pull through the slot. It could be motivation to try some locking tuners. I've got a nice set of Schallers here that I've had forever. I suppose I should pick a guitar and install them.
                          I never had that issue. Maybe it’s the way you’re doing it? I stick the string though the hole and measure two tuner lengths past the tuner I’m putting the string into and put a slight bend into the string. Then I pull it back to the bend I made and wrap it around the post one time, while keeping it taught with my other hand. Then I use a crank to wind it.

I’ve never had strings slip.

Comment

What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Slash is tuned down 1/2 step.

David- You’d laugh at how my basses are setup after all the arguing about heavy strings and higher action. Using 45-100 or 105 strings, usually lower tension sets like Dunlop Super Bright or SIT Foundations, I’ve got the action on my fretless at a little over 1.14mm on the G, and a little under 2mm on the E. It’s virtually effortless to play and sounds amazing. My fretted basses are just enough higher that everything isn’t a buzzy mess.
                            I like my neck totally straight and action as low as it goes. On both my basses and guitars.

I got to play Jeff Berlin’s Cort bass once. (It was handed to me by Tal Wilkenfeld, but that’s another story [emoji1])

The first thing everyone said who tried his bass out was “holy sh!t!” The frets are really low.... almost a fretless. And the action was the lowest I’ve ever felt. Every note buzzes, but in a good way. It sounded a lot like a fretless.

I never got the heavy strings and high action thing, but then listen how those people play. It’s all rudimentary stuff. They have no chops. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                              I never had that issue. Maybe it’s the way you’re doing it? I stick the string though the hole and measure two tuner lengths past the tuner I’m putting the string into and put a slight bend into the string. Then I pull it back to the bend I made and wrap it around the post one time, while keeping it taught with my other hand. Then I use a crank to wind it.

I’ve never had strings slip.
                              Cool. I'll try that. I just found a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's in a drawer.

Comment

Ironically, I've had more slipping issues with locking tuners than regular ones. I have locking Sperzels on my Warwick, and I still put a few wraps to keep them in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X