banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s between a Distortion and an Omega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What’s between a Distortion and an Omega?

Does the SH6n have the same high-end “sizzle” as the bridge though? That’s a characteristic I’d like less of.
    https://soundcloud.com/cannonbeach33

Comment

I’ve at least got the specs locked in for the build now. It’s a Warmoth Regal with some decidedly odd wood combinations:
      - 24.75” bubinga neck with wenge board
      - Basswood body with maple cap
      - Graphtech bridge (String Saver saddles so there’ll be a cut to ~2k)

I only switched to passives around 5 years ago, and whatever I settle on I need to be able to get a tight palm mute out of ala EMG-81. Beyond that my tastes get a bit murky:
      - Decent coil split is a must
      - Enough clarity to pull of complex(ish) chord voicings under gain
      - Enough output to push the amp a bit without being an untameable beast
      - Not a fan of too much high end sizzle (stupid tinnitus), but I feel like the saddles will curb some of that

I’m sticking to Duncans for this guitar, but I’ve had a lot more experience with various DiMarzios (in a Charvel with a maple board) at this point if I can provide points of reference. I’m back on the hunt for that guitar too, now that I’ve altered my tuning and strings.

I’m reviewing everyone’s input again. I’ve been vacillating between the Custom and Custom 5 but am still grateful for any and all thoughts.

P.S. I know it’s all personal taste, but I had settled on a 4-conductor ‘59 for the neck (even though a Jazz might better suit these bright pickups). Interested in your thoughts on that as well.

Comment

Go with your gut feeling: Custom 5. Not too hot, not too modern.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
          Go with your gut feeling: Custom 5. Not too hot, not too modern.
          Keep a few different magnets on hand, too, as it can really change the character of this pickup.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom family is hands-down the most receptive wind to magnet changes. No one knows why entirely, it's simply magic.

Put in a Ceramic, you have a Custom. Put in an A5, you have a Custom 5. Put in an A8, you have a Custom 8. Put in an A2, you have a Custom Custom.

You can't go wrong...3 of those variations (so far) have become "production" models for a reason!

I will say that when I think of great split tones and complex chord voicings, I still lean toward the Black Winter. Most players don't bother to wire it for a coil split, which is a shame, because it's gorgeous.

What DiMarzios did you like?

Comment

Originally posted by noisy humbucker View Post
              Does the SH6n have the same high-end “sizzle” as the bridge though? That’s a characteristic I’d like less of.
              As i see it the SH-6n Seymourizer ll is lower wound Custom?!
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                What DiMarzios did you like?
                The last two I tried were the Norton and Illuminator. The overall tone of the Norton was pretty great, it just didn’t push the amp as hard as I’d like. The Illuminator on the other hand is a little too hot for my liking and the tone, while serviceable, felt like it lacked nuance. Next up is the Transition...

Comment

Originally posted by noisy humbucker View Post
                  not nearly as badly as its B-sibling. In fact, the SH6N is IMHO a criminally underappreciated pickup. It's not nearly as hot as a JB or SH6 or even SH5 but it has power, attitude and grit. It's got a coarse sonic texture when chording but as soon as you play single leads, BOOM, it gets a fluid, airy feel to it. As a neck pickup, IMHO, it sucks. It's too congested, it's too fizzy and fuzzy but holy moly it's one of my favorite bridge pickups EVER. Not just from SD but in general. It does need a strong magnet. Double ceramic works really really well (that's what it's being loaded with from the factory) but an A8 is neat too. That fills out the mids a bit more but the original mag is epic.

if you wanna go hybrid: SH12. that's an underwound underwound custom5. the SH12 plays really well with the double ceramic or an A8, so you really got amazing pickups ready to be made even more epic.

[oh, and if you wanna know how it stacks up to the perpetual burn: I don't like the PB. sounds a bit congested and nasally to my ears. I prefer the open, bold, in your face voice of the SH6N and to a lesser degree the SH12]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C4A99C5-9EC8-489C-900D-25FF70965BB8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5817574
                    Hey all. So this build finally came together and while it’s a looker and a sweet player - the tone has definitely left me wanting. I ended up going with a Jazz/Custom combo and while the neck works well enough (probably should have stuck with the ‘59) the bridge is just falling flat. I guess the mid-centric pickups I’ve been using in other guitars have finally rubbed off on me.

At this point I’ll probably just have to put in the work and try out others - namely the Distortion, JB, Custom/59 hybrid and yes - the Black Winter.

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Had the chance to try out a few different Duncans in the bridge and ended up going with the good old JB/Jazz set. The Distortion was a close second, but I think I prefer the sweeter treble of the Alnico 5. Tried the Black Winter too and while I didn’t hate it - really didn’t love it either (too modern and a tad too hot as I’d feared). Just as well as I’d have changed out the neck too just to match the black poles! I may try a ‘59 in the neck per my original plan at some point, but I’m pretty happy for now.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Maybe an Alnico II in that Custom? Worth a try, and certainly it doesn't have a high end problem, and it doesn't sound modern. Great build, though- I love the color!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Maybe an Alnico II in that Custom? Worth a try, and certainly it doesn't have a high end problem, and it doesn't sound modern. Great build, though- I love the color!
                          Already sold! I think I was missing the output as well as the tonal characteristics. And thanks - agonized over the color for quite a while, my luthier did a terrific job!

Comment

Working...
                          X