7-string Pegasus alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7-string Pegasus alternative

Does the magnet length matter? I’m sure to find 6 string length Alnico 8 but I’ve only heard of group purchases to get 7 string pickup length ones made up.

Comment

6 string magnet will do just fine. Just make sure that magnet will touch all pole pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooweri View Post
        Hi guys,

After quite long juorney with my Pegasus I've deicided to swap it out. I've liked it enough to keep it in my fixed bridge Ibanez RGD2127 around 3 years but recently found it lack aggression and output I'm after with this instrument. Guitar itself is somewhat dark sounding with full lower midrange and relaxed pick attack. With stock A5 magnet the pickup is pretty dark/boomy and doesn't have much note separation when playing riffs, making guitar tracking quite challenging for even pretty experienced player. The pickup really benefits from A8 magnet, shifting the midrange upwards giving it nice roar under gain, getting rid of boominess and adding much needed note separation. While it definitely is an upgrade, it still feels too "slow" and relaxed to my taste. Ceramic magnet is too much overall and has annoying treble spike I cannot get rid of.

Prior to Pegasus I was using Nazgul and ended up swapping it out due to it's snarly in-your-face midrange, stiff high end and overall cold tone. It was bit too much for me in every way. I didn't try magnet swapping with it since it was before I started modify pickups.

I'm open to suggestions on what to try next. I'm currently using RCA5 Sentient in the neck and SSL-1 7S in middle. I've used Distortion in few of my previous guitars and really liked it, is it my best bet?

Thanks for your help as always!
        How about a DiMarzio Evo 7? Should knock the ball out the park with that one in your RGD2127! Not too much midrange but more than enough to cut and keep that low B or A if you prefer ringing tightly. the highs will sing or scream if you want and the lows are pretty tight too. Good note separation coupled with high power! It will feel plenty fast as well

Comment

How’s the cleans on the A8 Pegasus versus the A5 Peg? I’m curious if it’ll be overly distorted or girth or not.

Comment

Working...
          X