Production philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production philosophy

Given the recent threads on songs or bands that one likes but dislikes the tone or production, I am curious as to what you think is good production? When you are recording, what is your production philosophy?
    For myself, I prefer to keep things as stripped down as possible. I want the listener to feel like they are in the room as the song is being recorded live. Even if it isn't perfect.
    I've always preferred bands that could reproduce their studio recordings live without having to resort to lots of tricks or extra performers. Extra improv is fine with me as long as the main part of the studio sound and technical performance are there. But if you can't do it live, then don't use the studio to try to compensate.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Re: Production philosophy

I agree. I think that a bands live performance should,
    at a minimum, be as good or better than the recorded
    material. I prefer the organic (carbon based) 😜 feel of
    the live show and would like to hear that on the album.
    Eric Clapton’s “From the Cradle” was pretty much recorded
    live in the studio and it is awesome. Anyway my .02.

Comment

Good production is when I don’t notice the production.

Comment

If the song sounds good, it is good. If that means massive amounts of production to polish a turd into a diamond . . . so be it.

That said, I'm always disappointed when I hear a band live that sounds nothing like their recordings.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I do not have a production philosophy, other than to be open minded and willing to experiment (i.e. not too rigid), and to approach each production on its own terms. I don't operate on pre-canned general rules such as, "Keep things as stripped down as possible" – not in life, and not in music. What works for one song doesn't always work for every song. I like things stripped down when I want them to be stripped down, and I like things complex when I want them to be complex. No preconceived notions of what is "good production" across the board, for all songs. Always a song-by-song approach for what is "good."
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            This is it. But when I notice it, I think it is amazing.
            I don't like bands that sound the same live. I guess it is the jazz in my background- if I want to hear the studio recording, I will stay home. I want to experience these musicians being creative right in front of me.

But good record production can be stripped down, or super dense to me. But I want drums to sound like I am standing next to them. I want separation of frequencies. I want good arrangements. I like dense guitar parts, but not superfluous doubled and tripled rhythms.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

As I said, I like improvisation live, but not as a cover for not being able to do what was done in the studio. Zeppelin was famous for this. As opposed to Dream Theater, who can break into circus music in the middle of a song, but never leave the impression that they couldn't sound exactly like they did in the studio if they choose to.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Probably the two biggest factors that go into 'music production' are the technology of the time and the circumstances surrounding the recording. Great room, great performers and what passes for great sound-capture equipment for the time is going to yield some pretty great results. Is Caruso singing into a giant horn great production? In my opinion, yes; but you certainly notice the technology used; same with early recordings done into 'cans', captured directly on disk, etc. These are extremely bandwidth-limited recordings. Same goes for Library of Congress field recordings.

Sonically speaking, when I listen to The Beatles and Led Zeppelin all I can hear, from a production standpoint, is all the compression used! Those recordings were compressed within an inch of their lives, oftentimes to the point of pumping and creating weird artifacts. But I don't think anyone is going to say that they aren't great productions!

The role of 'producer' has drastically changed in the advent of the Laptop Generation, and now the Smart Phone and Tablet Generation. It has never been easier to get great-sounding, high resolution recordings.

Music production in general also has a LOT of sacred cows that are long past their expiration date.

At the end of the day I would rather hear a less-than-stellar recording of a great performance than a pristine recording of a so-so one. But then, it also depends on what your end goal is for listening to the piece in the first place. Modern pop music is FULL of great, complex, cutting-edge production techniques that any aspiring recordist/engineer/producer SHOULD be studying, and studying closely! People who act as gate keepers and allow their stylistic preferences to prevent them from learning something new are doing themselves, and the people who would listen to their productions, a disservice.
                Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-12-2019, 06:46 AM.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I don't like bands that sound the same live. I guess it is the jazz in my background- if I want to hear the studio recording, I will stay home. I want to experience these musicians being creative right in front of me.
                  I feel like you're talking about performance here, not production.

A solo can be note for note perfect, but the timber and feel of the band can be radically different because of the way they were produced on the record vs how they actually sound live. (Same performance, different production.) Conversely, a solo can be completely different and improvised live, but the band can sound exactly the way they sound on the album. (Different performance, same production.)

Improvisation is great, but to me it's kinda weird when a band sounds completely different live than they do on the record. That always makes me feel like they were probably overproduced.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Delivering what I've been asked / paid for and keeping things (costs/time, dead-end requests, loudness / punch, deadlines) in balance. That's all really.

Beyond that, in details every project is different: different problems to solve, different people/personalities to deal with, different program material e.t.c.
                    Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-13-2019, 07:15 AM. Reason: typos
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

IMO there are no rules, it's all different depending on the band/players/situation. I've seen Van Halen multiple times since 1982, their early recordings were very live sounding and their stuff with Hagar had a lot more production, I liked it both, but I would never expect them to play it exactly like the record live. I saw Queensryche do Operation Mindcrime live ~90 or 91 (all the original members) and it wouldn't have been the same if they had gone off improvising live, that's not their thing.

Hendrix/SRV/Zeppelin/"many others of that era" never played like the album, that would have been truly disappointing.
                      Last edited by devastone; 05-14-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Mine is very simple. Serve the song. I think about which sounds will best convey the moods and vibes that the song is trying to convey.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Get everything to sound right before hitting the 'record' button, applying all effects heard when practicing. Therefore, very minimal post production; EQ at most. Definitely no 'reamping'.

Comment

“There’s nothing worse than a clear picture of a fuzzy concept.” - Ansel Adams

Comment

A fuzzy picture of a clear concept?
                              That pretty much describes corporate America.

Comment

Working...
                              X