banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

I took my lonestar MIM to a tech because the bridge pickup is noisy when palm muting ( like a hum, some static) but when the single coil is active on the bridge it gets a little quite but don't like the tone. Also on the g string when fretting higher notes it makes this tremolo effect noise.
    So the tech said that there's no nothing we can't do because the guitar wasn't made to play high Gain stuff. The noise issue is the pickups and might be the electronics too. The solution will be swapping out everything and blocking the bridge or get a new guitar.

Also on an article I read that is normal for strats to have fret buzz because of the radius. so high action might solve the issue. No wonder when I play with gain you cant hear the notes ring out with clarity.

I will like to hear anyone's opinion on this issue I had for months lol. And for how much should I sell my strat MIM and what should I get? I find 24.75 scale length comfortable
    Last edited by Willy25; 05-12-2019, 05:08 PM.

Re: So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

Well, I'd say, try another tech.
    Too many people play Strats with metal and all sorts of pickup combos. Use what you got. It might need some fretwork, but you can absolutely set up modern Strats with good action and no buzzing.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Lone Star model is designed to sound like SRV and ZZ Top. You could force it to work but it's not the right tool for the job you want done.

If you're into hard rock and metal get a Gibson or an LTD.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Your “tech” is an idiot.

That tremolo sound is because the pickups are too close to the strings. The magnets pull on the strings. That’s commonly called “Stratitus.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Well, I'd say, try another tech.
          Too many people play Strats with metal and all sorts of pickup combos. Use what you got. It might need some fretwork, but you can absolutely set up modern Strats with good action and no buzzing.
          Thanks I'll try another tech. Just looked at some videos where people are playing metal with strats and sounds pretty clean

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            Your “tech” is an idiot.

That tremolo sound is because the pickups are too close to the strings. The magnets pull on the strings. That’s commonly called “Stratitus.”

Really? I can't believe it :/ I thought when you get a profession you have to know most important issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              The Lone Star model is designed to sound like SRV and ZZ Top. You could force it to work but it's not the right tool for the job you want done.

If you're into hard rock and metal get a Gibson or an LTD.
              I'll probably try another guitar or just work on this one and make it more versatile

Comment

This guy makes a $30 Strat copy sound passable. A MIM Strat should have no problems.

Comment

sounds like you need a better tech. Uli Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen and many others show that you can rock hard on a Strat that has low output pickups. A great setup is critical though.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F663654-B8BF-435E-8B72-84DB8B5DD1CB.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	5814080

As long as you’re Strat is setup correctly you should be able to play just about anything with it & you might wanna consider swapping pickups before you go swapping guitars???

The action was set so low on this one when I bought it I had to bring it up to be able to play it comfortably! Even with the strings super low it rang out clearly all over the board & it’s probably still the easiest/best playing guitar I own? (Included in my collection are many high dollar USA Gibson’s & Fender’s!!!) So I think I’m going to have to agree with my colleagues & suggest you find another tech?

Even if you decide to keep the vintage single coils you should be able to get some grit out of it in the bridge. However there’s always going to be some 60 cycle hum because that’s just what single coils do....
                    Last edited by Nostalgic Distortion; 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM.
                    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

If you can't make the action work without buzzing, it needs a fret level. It has nothing to do with which radius it has. That guy is dumb.

About the guitar itself issue. I found that the main issue for me with strats was that I didn't like the trem or single coils adding jangles to the sound and went with a hardtail with humbuckers. Although it doesn't affect the bridge pickup as much and you can get a good rock sound depending on ur pickup. If you like the guitar, there's no reason you can't set it up for the range of sounds you like. Strats are extremely versatile.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 05-13-2019, 12:32 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

A guitarist from another band came with the same question, complained about hum and squealing. I installed a emg set and called it a day. Was i overacting?
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Willy25 View Post
                          Really? I can't believe it :/ I thought when you get a profession you have to know most important issues.
                          A lot of people these days call themselves guitar techs or even luthiers. Yet I’m fixing their shoddy work all the time.

Just like with auto mechanics or even doctors, some of them just aren’t that good.

Comment

So I guess no tech knows what's going on. I meet 3 of them and even took my Peavey vypyr amp with me to show them that my Jackson doesn't have the same issue. It sounds pretty clean on the red channel.

So what I did to kind off solve the problem. Instead of having the volume/tone knob for the bridge on Max I put it like around 9 or 8 and it sounds better more clean no background noise. also something that helped too put the power sponge to 50% don't understand how that worked. So it Clear up like 80% but I lost some bight to the tone. Not that drastically but it's ok.
                            So is it a pot issue when the amp gets a boost?

On the stratitus issue. I lowered the single coil pickups and same issue :/
                            Last edited by Willy25; 05-16-2019, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Well issues with frets aside, a nice powerful bridge pup may be nice

Comment

Working...
                              X