X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

I just ordered some new picks to try...

First: Dunlop Black Fangs in .94 mm.

I love the shape, grip and material (Ultex) of the original Black Fang 1.14 mm, but found it a tad stiff and have slowly gravitated back toward the 1.0 mm range.

Didn't even know they made a .94 mm version! I'm very excited.

Second: Dunlop FLOW Variety Pack.

Stoked that these use the Ultex material and excited to try the new shape in different thicknesses!

BTW...the variety pack with 8 different sizes is only $5 shipped at Sweetwater: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      I just bought 48 for like $12, which is more than enough to last me several lifetimes.
      Sure, you say that now, but when you hit it big and start tossing them out by the handful to all your lusting fans...

The Jazz III Max Grip is great. The aggressive texturing with the smaller pick really helps to keep it planted.

The problem I have is that my playing feels limited by the regular Jazz III. I like their control and preciseness, but I prefer a pick big enough to manipulate and move around a bit (intentionally...not in the form of unwanted slipping).

Comment

I've been using the Jazz III Max Grip for a few years now. They're actually pretty expensive here though :-(.

Comment

I only use Clayton acetal .63 rounded triangles these days

I used jazz picks when I was a kid, can't hold 'em anymore, my thumb is shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	5814189
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Ive recently got some of the red, black and some of the carbon fiber Jazz III and of the 3 the carbon fibers and my faves, then the regular black and finally the red ones
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              2.0mm?!!!!!

Are you using those to try to break your strings or to dig holes in your guitar? Or do you use them as weapons (instead of a knife) because they go through airport security metal detectors?
              No joke right now in an airport.

But dude 2.0 is amazing for shred. Not so much for light strumming but I have Eric Johnson jazz iiis for that

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                2.0mm?!!!!!

Are you using those to try to break your strings or to dig holes in your guitar?
                Yep, me too, after breaking most I went all into 2mm Ultex Sharps. Feels like a piece of glass, rigid and deadly. And I'm a heavy picker so I eat one pick per show on average. Poor strings, poor guitars, poor sanded-down guitar pick tips. May the holy spirit of guitar gear give them redemption in their next life.

On the thread: Thick Stubbys, JazzIIIs, Ultex sharps. Great stuff IMO.
                Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-21-2019, 07:36 PM.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

I find the 1.52 Clayton Acetyls are a good middle ground for picking/strumming.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                    Yep, me too, after breaking most I went all into 2mm Ultex Sharps. Feels like a piece of glass, rigid and deadly. And I'm a heavy picker so I eat one pick per show on average. Poor strings, poor guitars, poor sanded-down guitar pick tips. May the holy spirit of guitar gear give them redemption in their next life.

On the thread: Thick Stubbys, JazzIIIs, Ultex sharps. Great stuff IMO.
                    Yea that's it. I pick like I'm trying to break stuff when I do rhythm. Well, depending on if I'm playing metal.

Comment

About 6 months ago I discovered that Dunlop makes jazz sized picks in Tortex in the pitch black series. It was a game changer for me.

I've always liked the jazz shape, but couldnt get used to the material/feel. Standard Tortex has been my go to for a long long time. Combining the 2 made my perfect pick.

I'm liking the new Tortex flow too. It's kind of between the standard Tortex and jazz, but i still prefer the jazz size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_211547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	5814212
                      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Jazz III Maxgrip fan here too!!!! For years I used Dunlop Tortex Oranges .60mm. Read an article in a guitar mag asking a bunch of (mostly metal) players what picks they used. Alot of them said JazzIII or black Jazz III. I decided to try em. At first, I liked the precision and feel, but had a heard time just strumming with them due to the sharp point and stiffness. I found the black ones alil too stiff. And settled on the red ones. Bought a bunch. Then..... Out comes the Eric Johnson one... Already loved the shape, but liked the feel of the material better. Less clicky on the strings, IMO. Switched to those. bought a bunch to put some in each case.. THEN: Out comes the Max Grip!!! Loved the grip it offers and the carbon material. Grip well, have the shape, durable. So, Ive switched to those. Have a large ziplock bag of Eric Johnsons somewhere.. haha

Where did you get 48 of them for $12? I have found that very few places seem to carry the Max Grips. If gotten mine thus far from Sweetwater.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

^^Amazon had a sale on them, so I swiped them up. I had a $10 gift card too so it only totalled $2 for 48 picks and 2 day shipping.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Gotcha! I wont score a deal like you did, but checked Amazon and can score a bunch for less..
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              I feel your joy. I can play any guitar - but there is only one pick I want.

I confirm this is a great pic : the tortex yellow 73. I used exclusively the orange and the yellow tortex in my previous band (Tear of a Doll) for years.

But now my thumb is shot and I switched to the red one and the three sided Herdim (blue and red) which are great for versatility : each corner have a different thickness.

The Ultex sounds really nice but I cannot use it too long.
                              Last edited by Francois; 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

They are becoming my favorite pick as well, and I'm slow to change
                                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                                X