I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

The more I get into extended range guitars with low tunings, I'm getting pointier and thinner on the picks. Yellow Jazz III XL sounds great on my 8 string.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've always alternated between the regular Jazz III's (red/black) & the 3.0mm purple Stubby's....switched between them for 20+ years, then after trying a few others (Eric JohnSon, Petrucci, Carbon Fibre etc..) I settled on the translucent Yellow Ultex Jazz III's which I've been using for the last 5 years or so ..they're awesome. But I'm on a 3.0mm Stubby kick again. Bought myself a big pack of the grey ones like this & I love them, been using nothing else for the last year or so ...shred machines

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Wow those are thick!!^^^
        They look like they would glide pretty effortlessly over the strings with that bevel though.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_184219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	5814332

I was using the .73 for a while, then enjoyed these..
          Jackson Custom Tele
          Epiphone G400 PRO
          Marshall DSL40C w/V30
          GLS Audio
          Ernie Ball
          Dunlop
          SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            Wow those are thick!!^^^
            They look like they would glide pretty effortlessly over the strings with that bevel though.
            Yah ..that's what happens

also, it makes your notes sound bigger..
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Got my .94mm Black Fangs in last week. Really nice picks in general, but I immediately gravitated back toward the 1.14mm version I already owned. Not sure why, to be honest. I just wasn't blown away by the .94mm like I thought I would be.

However, I still like the blue Tortex III in 1.0mm I've been using better than both Black Fang models. The Tortex III is the same overall size and shape as the Black Fang, but seems to grip better when the fingers get moist and the flex is right between the other two. For edge profile, I give the nod to the Black Fangs, but the Tortex III just plays well overall.

This week, I received the Flow assortment from .73mm to 3.0mm. I'm still running through them, but I'm extremely impressed so far. I'm digging the new shape and profile of these. They are a bit smaller in size than the Black Fangs and Tortex III, but nowhere near "Jazz III" small...not even close. With the Flows, I was surprised how usable the thinner .73mm and .88mm are. I like both better than the .94mm Black Fangs. In fact, I can't decide if I like the .88mm or 1.0mm Flow best overall...the .88mm, because of the slightly smaller size, feels very similar in flex to my 1.0mm Tortex III and the 1.0mm Flow is really controllable with a great shape and edge profile for faster playing. Grip on both is slightly better than the Black Fangs and at least on par with my Tortex III's.

I started out on medium thickness picks, then tried a couple dozen models in 1.5-3.0mm over the years, before climbing my way back down to the 1.0mm range. I think I'm getting close to finding my "perfect" pick and, having bounced from the classic Wedge to Jazz III's and back, I think the Flow might be the sweet spot! I'll keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
                About 6 months ago I discovered that Dunlop makes jazz sized picks in Tortex in the pitch black series. It was a game changer for me.

I've always liked the jazz shape, but couldnt get used to the material/feel. Standard Tortex has been my go to for a long long time. Combining the 2 made my perfect pick.

I'm liking the new Tortex flow too. It's kind of between the standard Tortex and jazz, but i still prefer the jazz size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98500[/ATTACH]
                Oh great! now I have another pick that I have to try!
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

The Jazz lll’s feel too tiny to me. I tend to dig in pretty hard, and too much flesh hits the strings when I use them.

These are my preferred.

Name:	948752AF-CE0B-4685-99CC-402782BF1050.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	5814352

Comment

I started using the black jazz III’s a few years ago. And now nothing else sounds or feels right

Comment

The only pick i use is Dunlop Torex green

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
                        The Jazz lll’s feel too tiny to me. I tend to dig in pretty hard, and too much flesh hits the strings when I use them.

These are my preferred.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98748[/ATTACH]
                        You & me both! Been using them exclusively since I first tried them back in the early 1990s.

Comment

I've been using the Dunlop FLOW picks for the past few months (note: NOT the tortex versions), so I figured I'd follow up on my previous post.

I can say with certainty that these are the perfect picks, at least for me. I no longer reach for my Jazz III XL's, my Black Fangs or my Dunlop III's.

I really like all of the sizes from .73 to 1.5 and then the 3.0mm. The 2.0 and 2.5 are just in this strange spot where they're neither thin and/or flexible enough nor comfortably thick. I'm actually surprised that the 3.0 is so fun to mess around with!

If I had to go to the grave playing one pick the rest of my life, I definitely wouldn't complain if it was one of these in the .88 or 1.0 style! Comfortable, predictable, grippy...for rock, progressive and metal playing, I love them!

Comment

I picked up a Kirk Hammett signature pick from my guitar shop a few weeks back . . . kinda love it. Yes, it's a Jazz III . . . but it's SPARKLE PURPLE THAT MATCHES MY GUITAR!
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsnake View Post
                              The only pick i use is Dunlop Torex green
                              thats been my favorite for years and still is one of two picks i buy. the other being a ultex .88. used to get the ultex sharp .90 since they didnt do an 88. i may try some tiii .88 soon though for giggles. i can use other picks but the green tortex always feel good

Comment

I get mine custom made by IntuneGP. Jazz III shape, with textured delrin, 1.1mm.

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	5817460
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X