Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Default Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

The only pick i use is Dunlop Torex green

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    The Jazz lll’s feel too tiny to me. I tend to dig in pretty hard, and too much flesh hits the strings when I use them.

These are my preferred.

Attachment 98748
    You & me both! Been using them exclusively since I first tried them back in the early 1990s.

I've been using the Dunlop FLOW picks for the past few months (note: NOT the tortex versions), so I figured I'd follow up on my previous post.

I can say with certainty that these are the perfect picks, at least for me. I no longer reach for my Jazz III XL's, my Black Fangs or my Dunlop III's.

I really like all of the sizes from .73 to 1.5 and then the 3.0mm. The 2.0 and 2.5 are just in this strange spot where they're neither thin and/or flexible enough nor comfortably thick. I'm actually surprised that the 3.0 is so fun to mess around with!

If I had to go to the grave playing one pick the rest of my life, I definitely wouldn't complain if it was one of these in the .88 or 1.0 style! Comfortable, predictable, grippy...for rock, progressive and metal playing, I love them!

I picked up a Kirk Hammett signature pick from my guitar shop a few weeks back . . . kinda love it. Yes, it's a Jazz III . . . but it's SPARKLE PURPLE THAT MATCHES MY GUITAR!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnake View Post
    The only pick i use is Dunlop Torex green
    thats been my favorite for years and still is one of two picks i buy. the other being a ultex .88. used to get the ultex sharp .90 since they didnt do an 88. i may try some tiii .88 soon though for giggles. i can use other picks but the green tortex always feel good

I get mine custom made by IntuneGP. Jazz III shape, with textured delrin, 1.1mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	101765
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I get mine custom made by IntuneGP. Jazz III shape, with textured delrin, 1.1mm.

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	101765
    I realize that’s a Merlin/wizard hat (which is really cool, by the way), but at first glance it looked like a piece of pizza to me!

I must be hungry… better find something to eat soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    I confirm this is a great pic : the tortex yellow 73. I used exclusively the orange and the yellow tortex in my previous band (Tear of a Doll) for years.

But now my thumb is shot and I switched to the red one and the three sided Herdim (blue and red) which are great for versatility : each corner have a different thickness.

The Ultex sounds really nice but I cannot use it too long.
    I use the Tortex Yellow exclusively when playing electric. For acoustic, I rotate mostly between yellow, orange and red Tortex depending on the song. However, I have every Tortex thickness available in the compartment of my acoustic cases.
    "Or the time - ha, ha, ha, - when we woke up in a convent in Truro with our privates painted blue, but I'd have to make it all up." - John Peel

Seymour Duncans currently in use - Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), P-Rails(b)/Vintage Stack Tele(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n), Mag Mic, Brobucker(b), P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n)

I use Ernie Ball prodigy picks. 1.5 mm but the edge is really nicely beveled and sharpened so it doesn't feel thick. Basically a fancy/pointy jazz pick.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Pretty much these all the time now. I can reshape the tip after they get rounded as well

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    I realize that’s a Merlin/wizard hat (which is really cool, by the way), but at first glance it looked like a piece of pizza to me!

I must be hungry… better find something to eat soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes! I call it the pizza hat guy!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Aceman is MR SPEED JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    thats been my favorite for years and still is one of two picks i buy. the other being a ultex .88. used to get the ultex sharp .90 since they didnt do an 88. i may try some tiii .88 soon though for giggles. i can use other picks but the green tortex always feel good
    Have you tried the Tortex Flex? I used the regular green .88 almost since I started playing, tried different ones, always went back. The Flex claims to be more flexible like nylon, but they feel a little more substantial. After 25 years of the green, I think the Flex has won me over.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

I found a new love for the Tortex Sharp. Such an awesome pick. Size .88 green and 1.0 blue.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I use one size down from that (0.90). I've been using Ultex for over a decade now. I really like how they're stiff without being thick. I don't want a ton of flex, but I also hate a thick edge.

I used both the 0.60 and 0.73s in the regular Ultex, but decided to move up a bit for the Sharps, since they taper their thickness a little. The 0.90 sharp feels very similar to the 0.73 regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Pretty much these all the time now. I can reshape the tip after they get rounded as well

---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Have you tried the Tortex Flex? I used the regular green .88 almost since I started playing, tried different ones, always went back. The Flex claims to be more flexible like nylon, but they feel a little more substantial. After 25 years of the green, I think the Flex has won me over.
    i dont really want any more flex, what i like about the green tortex is the stiffness/feel/tone. stiff, not too thick, and just the right amount of percussiveness. there are times when i want a bit more stiffness and percussiveness which is why i like the ultex too.

Aceman is MR SPEED JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i dont really want any more flex, what i like about the green tortex is the stiffness/feel/tone. stiff, not too thick, and just the right amount of percussiveness. there are times when i want a bit more stiffness and percussiveness which is why i like the ultex too.
    Would’ve said all the same things before trying them. If you see a small pack for cheap, give them a shot. If you hate it, I’ll buy them off you. I’m gonna start carrying a few, and giving one to everybody I see with a green.

ill grab some if i see em in the store and give em a whirl

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

This new batch of custom logo picks are about 1mm thick and work surprisingly well despite they have promotion purpose. I have no idea about the material but for rigidity they rival my fav Ultex and are pretty durable. Maybe a little thinner than my preferred 2mm but still pretty functional.

Name:	2019-10-31-5948.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	101783

I love Ultex but I can't use them. I have sweaty hands and within 5 minutes the pick is slipping around everywhere and unusable. I can use Tortex for hours and never have that problem. But the problem I have with Tortex is they last maybe 2 hours of play before they're so worn they're unusable (I like fresh picks with sharp edges). Ultex practically don't wear at all but there's that sweat problem. So for now I'm sticking with Tortex

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

you could scuff up the part of the ultex you hold onto