I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

I always kinda wished they'd made those grippy nylon picks with different tips. They're so easy to hold onto, but they play like crap (for me).

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    you could scuff up the part of the ultex you hold onto
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
      I always kinda wished they'd made those grippy nylon picks with different tips. They're so easy to hold onto, but they play like crap (for me).
      I wonder if you might like Dava picks . They have a nylon-ish grip part, but a plastic/Tortex(not sure what it actually is) tip. They're pretty great but about a dollar a pop iirc

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

you could scuff up the part of the ultex you hold onto
        +1

When I first ran across regular red Jazz IIIs I found them too slippery when my fingers got sweaty. Took one of my swiss army knife's bottle opener type attachments and scratched the crap out of the smooth upper section of the pick . . . worked great after that treatment with no slipping.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Anybody who has issues with picks moving around should try acrylic, like V-Pick or Gravity.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	47565317-origpic-66f69f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	5817479

I found these while ago and now they're all I use. Smaller than celluloids (but not too small like I think Jazz III), grippy, stiff without being too thick, and won't make annoying pick noise like nylon or tortex.

Absolutely perfect.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

how do they wear? what pick noise are you referring to with tortex?

Comment

To me, Tortex are a bit percussive and scratchy (not necessarily bad if you want that texture), but also feels like a little bit of drag on the strings.

I've favored Herco Holy Grails and its close cousin - Dunlop nylon 1mm, but recently discovered Dunlop Delrin 500 Primegrip .96mm. The latter is slightly firmer and brighter than nylon, and with the same grip pattern used on the sculpted primetones.

I have some Dava grip tips and D'Andrea Radex in transit. The quest never ends
                Last edited by AniML; 11-01-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I love Jazz IIIs so much. Been using them for a majority of the time I've been playing guitar. It's actually extremely hard for me to play guitar without using this pick now, haha. I even used them when I was playing bass in a band for a couple of years.

Comment

Pickboy carbon edge have been my go to pick for years.
                    '05 Gibson SG Standard
                    '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                    PRS IRW McCarty
                    '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                    82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

They wear just like tortex. I mean the percussive pick attack with single notes thats especially prominent with nylon and thick picks like jazz III.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                        I love Ultex but I can't use them. I have sweaty hands and within 5 minutes the pick is slipping around everywhere and unusable.
                        The Dunlop Flows I posted about are Ultex, but have a really functional grip pattern to them. That slipping was my only complaint with the original Ultex stuff, but hasn't been an issue with the Flows!

And, just when I thought I was settled, having moved to the Flow family from the Hetfield Black Fangs, Dunlop goes and releases the Hetfield White Fang in 1.0 and 1.14...essentially a hybrid of the B.F. and Flow designs! Now I'm gonna have to give these a try:

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                          The Dunlop Flows I posted about are Ultex, but have a really functional grip pattern to them. That slipping was my only complaint with the original Ultex stuff, but hasn't been an issue with the Flows!

And, just when I thought I was settled, having moved to the Flow family from the Hetfield Black Fangs, Dunlop goes and releases the Hetfield White Fang in 1.0 and 1.14...essentially a hybrid of the B.F. and Flow designs! Now I'm gonna have to give these a try:

I've heard of these and have been waiting for them to hit shelves. I like the BF but I'm worried that the WF Flow will have too much material on the sides before the tip...and I don't really like picks with grip etching on them because they are always etched where I DON'T hold a pick.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I got the White Fangs in tonight...WOW!

The tip is sharp and the edges are noticeably thinner than the regular Flow model of the same thickness (comparing 1.0mm Flow to 1.0mm WF). It's hard to tell in pictures, but the edge beveling is much deeper on the White Fangs, whereas the regular Flow has more of a rounded edge than a really pronounced bevel.

As for grip, the regular Flows have two rows of a raised stippled pattern in the center with "Dunlop" and "Flow" lettering creating the outer ring of the grip surface. As I already mentioned, the Flows already offer better gripping characteristics than the standard Ultex and Black Fang picks.

That said, the new White Fangs really take it a step further. The outer ring of the grip surface has two more rows of the raised stippling, rather than any logo or wording, and the additional grip, even compared to the standard Flow models, is really noticeable!

I haven't put them through their paces yet, but I'm definitely excited as hell about these!

Comment

I really want to try those too. I wish they made them in a 1.5mm.
                              I may give them a shot anyway. 1.14 may be close enough.

Comment

I ordered a mixed bag of those after seeing your post. Stiff and thin is very much my bag. Never really had any complaints about the sound of tortex, but I'm always on board to try new things.

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]101788[/ATTACH]

I found these while ago and now they're all I use. Smaller than celluloids (but not too small like I think Jazz III), grippy, stiff without being too thick, and won't make annoying pick noise like nylon or tortex.

Absolutely perfect.
                                ---------------------------
                                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                                X