banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative Splitting combos- Anyone messed around with them a bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Splitting combos- Anyone messed around with them a bit?

Hey all-

I have a guitar I am wanting to wire with a coil split option. I know that when you do a split tone you generally have a 'split inners' or 'split outers' option.

Has anyone ever done both coils the further one from the bridge? Like on the neck the outermost coil would be active, and on the bridge the further coil as well? I really enjoy having that harmonically rich, hollow single coil sound from a coil right by the neck, but how would It sound with both splits active? I know this is a nitpicking specific question, but I am curious.

I ask because my guitar has limited controls to utilize for the splitting, and I dont want a cluster**** of wiring in my guitar.

Would there be any phase issues to take into account in this case? I am not an expert.

Re: Alternative Splitting combos- Anyone messed around with them a bit?

I'm not expert, but I think it's doable and you wouldn't be out of phase. Matter of fact, I think that's how PRS wires up some of their guitars and Fender did as well with their old Big Apple strat (I think).
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

It’s not so much a phase issue but more of a hum-canceling issue. Certain coils together are hum-canceling while others are not.

Comment

I think that actually may be easier than doing the inner/outer splits. My Brian Moore was wired like that.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Neck screw and bridge slug is in phase and hum cancelling.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            I always do my splits like this. It just makes sense. Add in a "series" mode, and you have a virtual 3rd/middle humbucker. It's my favorite HH wiring scheme.

Comment

I'm gonna have to get around to wiring up that virtual 3rd humbucker. I have to decide wether to put the full hums in series and then use my master spin a split to dial it back or have only the split coils in series.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I'm gonna have to get around to wiring up that virtual 3rd humbucker.
                Granted, it's a very subtle difference. But I like it.

Comment

Was that the “slutbucker”, or was that something else?

Comment

The problem when wiring duncan's like this, you have to do a lot of faffing about to get it to play nice. So every wire in the screw coil split pickup is reversed, and then you have to flip the magnet as well to keep it in phase again.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      The problem when wiring duncan's like this, you have to do a lot of faffing about to get it to play nice. So every wire in the screw coil split pickup is reversed, and then you have to flip the magnet as well to keep it in phase again.
                      Or just flip one pickup around and deal with the upside down logo (if there is one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by The Commodores?
                      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Was that the “slutbucker”, or was that something else?
                        Yup. But I think someone else actually coined the term.

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                        Or just flip one pickup around and deal with the upside down logo (if there is one).
                        No, no, no. None of that is accurate. It's dirt simple wiring. If you use a push-pull, its just bridge red/white to ground, and neck red/white to hot. Nothing else changes. If, on the other hand, you want it to be the natural state of the middle position, then it's just a question of how you wire the 3-way. But it has to be a "blade" style 3-way. Or, it has to be my custom LP 3-way. Let me dig up my diagrams to refresh the concept.

(I just got my first cup 'o java.)

Comment

Here's the diagram to make it the natural middle position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Virtual3rd.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	5814231

Note: It looks complicated, but it's simply a matter of where you solder the wires to the 3-way. This is actually possible with an LP-style 3-way, but . . . and it's a big butt, it requires the official ArtieToo Slutbucker LP-Style 3-way.
                          Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slutbucker_switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	5814232

The rub here is that this switch is very expensive. I have to buy two of these: https://guitarelectronics.com/switch...s-paul-nickel/

I disassemble both, and put them back together to make the Slutbucker switch. (And, I have to buy longer screws of the exact size.) Those switches are about $18 ea. on their own, plus the screws and the labor. (Which is a PITA.) You end up with one Slutbucker switch and one regular 3-way. I'm not even sure what I'd charge for one of those. I currently have one spare.

That's not a sales pitch. Just saying.

Artie

P.S. I'm working on a cheaper "import" variation that uses micro-switches on a less expensive 3-way. But the labor on the brackets may exceed the benefit. The one above remains a genuine Switchcraft. And since I do it, it's still made in USA.
                          Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-24-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Ok, so...for those of us that are a but slower: can I use red and white to split a bridge humbucker to slug and white and greem to split a neck humbucker to screw? If so, will they be hum-cancelling in the middle when wired to a "normal" LP switch in parallel?
                            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                              Ok, so...for those of us that are a but slower: can I use red and white to split a bridge humbucker to slug and white and greem to split a neck humbucker to screw? If so, will they be hum-cancelling in the middle when wired to a "normal" LP switch in parallel?
                              If I recall correctly, for Duncan’s, Red+White to Ground always gives you the slug coil of that pickup. Red+White to hot always gives you the adjustable/screw coil.

So to split the two pickups differently, you’d have the bridge Red+White go to ground and the neck Red+White go to hot. That would give you bridge slug coil and neck screw coil.

Comment

Working...
                              X